5E Character Create Playlist
    Blog Entries

[ERROR] Unable to locate spell group to resolve spell modifiers or DCs.

I received this error when adding a spell to the Actions tab on the player's Character Sheet.

In my opinion, under the circumstances presented below, there really is no error. The error is that Fantasy Grounds is reporting one when there really isn't one.

There are four screen shots presented, in each one a portion of the Chat window is captured on the left side and a portion of the Character Sheet is presented on the right. The first two screenshots present nice FG behavior, the second two present the questionable behavior by Fantasy Grounds (again in my opinion).

In this screenshot I am getting ready to add a spell to a new character a sorcerer. During the character creation process a "default" Spell Group is created. It is circled in red here. The main reason for this pic is to contrast with the third screen shot.
    Error 1.png

In this one I dragged a Burning Hands spell from the Spell Library on to the Actions tab. Everything goes as expected. This is presented to contrast it to screenshot four.
    Error 2.png

In this screenshot similar to the first, except that the "default" power group is not present. I deleted it. For a non caster character or a home brew or experimental character FG (most likely) will not create a "default" group. The nonexistent group is circled in red. (Compare to the first screenshot.)
    Error 3.png

And finally the questionable condition. Again, as in the third screen shot, I dragged Burning Hands on to the Action tab. Note the reported errors in the Chat.
    Error 4.png

First, I suspect there are so many errors reported because the spell itself causes an error to be thrown, plus the Cast, plus the Dmg sub items as they are added by FG's code.

But, the reason I am arguing that this is not an error condition is because FG's code handles everything just fine. A new power group is created and properly populated (screenshot four, Character Sheet). True the code couldn't find a group, but the code acted resourcefully and created one. All these flags come up and one might get nervous. But nothing really went wrong. So, where's the error? All sorts of unexpected conditions may happen during code execution, but it is the ones that aren't handled robustly by the code that approach errors. That is not the case here, I believe.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; September 22nd, 2017 at 17:14. Reason: fix typos
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Just a quick thought as I haven't dealt with that part much. But maybe by deleting all the spell groups you removed the data that was linked to the Sorcerer class for all the spell groups (the main casting stat and stuff). So that when it added the new group, it looked to see what stats it should duplicate in the Level 1 group but couldn't find the Sorcerer information to duplicate.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    Nickademus, I completely agree, deleting the "default" group tripped up the addition of a new spell. The non-casters are a real issue though. I quickly created a fighter then added the Burning Hands spell, because, well, the fighter found some Gloves of Burning Hands. FG threw six errors. (Similar screenshots provided, before and after the drag, note there is no "default" spell group for a fighter.)
    Error 5.png

This poor handling of the addition of spells is not desirable behavior, to my way of thinking.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; September 22nd, 2017 at 22:17.

Thanks for reporting. I'll look into it.

JPG

Blog Entries
    Thanks Moon Wizard.

From an outsider's point of view this is really a bit convoluted.

For instance the Spell Altered State (to Sorcerer) does not report any errors, even if there is no "default" power group!

With no "default" power group, if I add Burning Hands to Sorcerer, four reports of errors are thrown. And a "default" Spells group is created. Spells added after that do not report errors.

However, if the created Spells group is renamed (by renaming in each spell's Group box) then any later spell added again reports errors. I'll provide screenshots.

Error 7.png
    Error 8.png
    Error 9.png

The key, it seems to me, is really that "default" Spells power group that is created when a new spell casting character is created.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; September 23rd, 2017 at 17:51. Reason: screen shot too small, Added "The Key"

Blog Entries
    Ha! I may have figured out why the Altered Self doesn't report errors when dragged on (when there is no "default" group). It seems as though spells without a Cast/Atk/Save component (i.e. only have Dmg or Effect components) do not cause the reporting of errors.

Why this happens, I don't know, but it seems to be the trigger!

Only the cast action requires FG to know what the spellcasting stat is.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thread Information