5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... Last

Advanced Effects (add effects to items/NPC and apply)

WARNING!

The active thread for the extension is 5E Advanced Effects (items, npcs, characters).

This is something I've had in my ruleset for a while and decided I'd make an extension so that it could be used with 5E ruleset.

How does it work? When you apply the extension to a 5E campaign you'll notice a new field on item called "Effect Features". When you place add an effect such as "IFT: ALIGN (evil); AC: 2;" it will be placed on the owner of the item if they equipped it and they are in the combat tracker.

You will also notice the same type of entry for NPCs. It works similar to the above except when you drag/drop the NPC into the combat tracker these effects will be added automatically.

Here are the places you'll notice differences.

Items/NPCs

In action in the CT, drag and dropped all of these PC's and NPC in:

In action "Action Only" effect (only used when THAT weapon/item is used for attack/damage).

This requires the current version of 5E and FG (3.3.2 at this writing).

Please report issues/etc as I don't use 5E for my own games.

Link to GitHUB version of the extension. This will be the version I am developing and not a "stable" version.

Download the current stable version here at the new thread.
    Last edited by celestian; June 4th, 2023 at 19:36.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

OMG this is amazing. Can't wait to get home and try it. You sir are a champion!

This extension is one of the best and although still in development it should already be a fundamental feature of Fantasy Grounds. The extension currently works perfectly for items with permanent effects. If someday it had the option to add the functions of Duration and expend would be great.

This extension has great potential. Thank you for your great work Celestian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Mind if I port this to PF?
    This leans on the 5E/CoreRPG functions but if you can certainly As someone else suggested, I agree, this should be something that is an existing feature and was surprised it wasn't.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Nice, I'll see what I can do when I get back.

Mind if I add this to my 40k ruleset? I already have useable gear, and this is one more step along what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pratt View Post
    Mind if I add this to my 40k ruleset? I already have useable gear, and this is one more step along what I was thinking.
    Okay, to make this clear for everyone. Make use of this code in your rulesets if you wish

If you make improvements to functionally I'd love to see/hear about them so I can reverse it back into mine tho !
    ---

I have thought about this a bit, and if I had time, I was eventually planning on adding this capability. But, it's a perfect extension example for now.

Some random thoughts:
    * I was originally thinking of trying to implement at the CoreRPG level, since equipping and effects exist at that level. Not sure if the right pieces are there though.
    * You may want to consider that items may have multiple effects. My thought is that this would be a new tab for items to add an effects list.
    * Another approach I've considered is having the effects on any equipped gear automatically checked without having to add them to the combat tracker. This would require updating the effects manager script to check there as well as the combat tracker entry.

Cheers,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I have thought about this a bit, and if I had time, I was eventually planning on adding this capability. But, it's a perfect extension example for now.
    This is great news and what I was hoping I do this stuff for fun and I am sure someone that does it for a job can do it much better. I hope I can borrow your work and replace mine with something better down the road

Some random thoughts:
    * I was originally thinking of trying to implement at the CoreRPG level, since equipping and effects exist at that level. Not sure if the right pieces are there though.
    * You may want to consider that items may have multiple effects. My thought is that this would be a new tab for items to add an effects list.
    My theory was if they had multiple they would just be one effect string but it certainly would be better served to be able to configure each and as someone else already requested have a duration baked in.

One thing DMs will need to be aware of with this is people thinking "lets give this sword ATK: +1" and not realize it gives the character +1 to attack with anything since it's a "character effect". For things like cloak of protection it's great (cloak +1 granting +1 to all saves/etc).

* Another approach I've considered is having the effects on any equipped gear automatically checked without having to add them to the combat tracker. This would require updating the effects manager script to check there as well as the combat tracker entry.
    Originally I had this but it wasn't pretty at the time so I decided to revamp and try to use the code in CoreRPG/5E as much as I could to reduce my "work". When I did that I decided to drop the persistent aspect and only have it if they were in the CT.

After revamping things to what I have now I could probably go back and re-do it. Best way to do it might be move effects children to character sheet and "link" back from combat tracker to character sheet like how is done for hp/ac/etc?
    ---

Thread Information