Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    We will also do some more investigation to see if we can preemptively disable any extensions that might be problematic. Because custom extensions can override nearly any part of the ruleset, it's difficult to predict exactly what might break with a new update. Often enough, the community developers either have a new version ready or the need for an extension disappears entirely with a new ruleset update. The problem is that this isn't conveniently communicated back to users who may have installed those extensions. Perhaps there will be a way for us to check for a version compatibility flag in the extension and disable them based on that.
    I had this idea too, but then you have people coming to the forums saying that their FG no longer works the way it should. The communication is difficult when you have content coming from two different sources. There comes a point where a user has to at least evaluate whether user-made content is broken or not. The community devs don't send out email newletters like Smiteworks does. We do have stickied threads that get updated with which extensions are compatible with the new versions. People just need to look to see.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Perhaps when the user selects upgrade, the system would:
    1) Put up a dialog reminding you that if you have any issues there is a backup located at ....
    2) Give you two choices, with a) being the default:
    a) Disable all extensions that do not flag in their xml that they are compatible with the new version (via a new compatibility xml tag)
    b) Work with the selected extensions with the warning that extensions could cause problems up to and including database corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I'm not fond of the way this goes either, but to be fair, you aren't having problems with the software. You are having problems with the community-created-content which is offered 'as is'. If you are looking for the safety of a professional company, make sure to disable anything not directly from Smiteworks after an update, prior to entering a campaign. It's the user-made content that can cause you trouble.
    Not true - Everything below Windows is community created content - If it stops working it is Microsoft fault. Plus the MASSIVE design flaw that lets a 3rd party extension disable 1st party content - just shut it down, FG is in charge and nothing should break what I have even if has to remove a 3rd party feature. TOTAL DESIGN FLAW. Stop making excuses for FG. I've paid near on $700 for my FG software and add ons - am I wrong in that I demand it WORKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I had this idea too, but then you have people coming to the forums saying that their FG no longer works the way it should. The communication is difficult when you have content coming from two different sources. There comes a point where a user has to at least evaluate whether user-made content is broken or not. The community devs don't send out email newletters like Smiteworks does. We do have stickied threads that get updated with which extensions are compatible with the new versions. People just need to look to see.
    A FG store! Where extensions are evaluated and tested in an automated env - oh if only that existed - oh wait Jenkins!

Smiteworks wants to get bigger it need this - its not hard people!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer View Post
    Not true - Everything below Windows is community created content - If it stops working it is Microsoft fault. Plus the MASSIVE design flaw that lets a 3rd party extension disable 1st party content - just shut it down, FG is in charge and nothing should break what I have even if has to remove a 3rd party feature. TOTAL DESIGN FLAW. Stop making excuses for FG. I've paid near on $700 for my FG software and add ons - am I wrong in that I demand it WORKS!
    Problem solved - don't use any extensions, ever.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Doug - how can I pm you. I can send you my CV I've got 20 years xp in network comm's real time data and stuff and I think I can fix/better the current network legacy you guys inherited. I have no problem signing a NDA to help and I will work for free for my fav software! Please let me at you crappy network code!

You can send an email to both of us at [email protected]. We both monitor that e-mail.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Perhaps there will be a way for us to check for a version compatibility flag in the extension and disable them based on that.
    This is the solution.

But, after doing so, you'll have to put in an override because users won't be happy if they can't use an extension that a developer has abandoned. Then they'll override. Things will break. And they'll blame you again.

I think you'll just have to make any override check boxes need to be done with *each* load so the user has to "take responsibility" each time and that it becomes clear to them that they're using an extension that isn't built on the current version of FG and it may lead to tears in the fabric of their reality.

Actually, there is already functionality in the Extension code to limit Extensions to specific Rulesets and Ruleset versions - one reason why you'll sometimes see a big red "x" next to some of the DOEs after a Ruleset update - but most Community Devs don't use it (I believe). The problem is that its not mandatory to use this particular piece of code (its a XML tag that needs to be set for each Ruleset); and even when you do use it you either specify that this particular version of the Extension works ONLY with that particular Ruleset version, or you specify a range of Ruleset versions (which is what I currently do).

With Option 1 the Extension Dev needs to release a new version of the Extension every time FG is updated (even for a "Patch" update, let alone a "Minor" update); with Option 2 you run the risk of having an Extension that works fine for a number of updates but there is always the chance that an FG update will break things - in other words, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't - or really damned if you don't use the functionality at all. (Incidentally, that's one reason why I was asking about "Semantic Versioning" in a previous thread: to help with this sort of issue.)

So I don't know of a solution that's going to satisfy everyone 100% of the time - but using the Semantic Versioning Standard (that's everyone: Community Devs and SW Devs) along with the existing Extension-Ruleset Compatibility functionality might go a long way to helping solve at least some of the issues - IMNSHO

Cheers
    Last edited by dulux-oz; September 22nd, 2017 at 15:08.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by Full Bleed View Post
    This is the solution.

But, after doing so, you'll have to put in an override because users won't be happy if they can't use an extension that a developer has abandoned. Then they'll override. Things will break. And they'll blame you again.

I think you'll just have to make any override check boxes need to be done with *each* load so the user has to "take responsibility" each time and that it becomes clear to them that they're using an extension that isn't built on the current version of FG and it may lead to tears in the fabric of their reality.
    Why are you even considering the corner case of abandoned extensions? This is not a question of if it will break - it is simple a fact of when it will break. Who CARES! The developer didn't, if they really did they would open source it, and if no one can be bothered to update it, again NO ONE CARES. Clean up the trash

Thread Information