Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

A big hats off to this software!

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and in the process of moving my campaign over from Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (2nd Edition) to Dungeons and Dragons (5th Edition). My players and I have been playing this campaign for approx. 3 years and I was extremely worried about making the move.

I have been reading a lot of rules recently, and trying to teach myself how to use Fantasy Grounds at the same time as learning 5E- mostly by watching YouTube videos.

I have to say, the learning curve is nowhere near as big as I though it would be and using this software has actually helped, as the automation of the rules is very good and lets a newcomer learn without having to constantly look at books!

If anybody is worried about making the move from 2nd Ed. to 5th Ed. - don't be worried. And this software is a must.

Many thanks,

RK.

Blog Entries
    Welcome. FYI you could still play your 2e game on FG.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by sorvan76 View Post
    I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and in the process of moving my campaign over from Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (2nd Edition) to Dungeons and Dragons (5th Edition). My players and I have been playing this campaign for approx. 3 years and I was extremely worried about making the move.

I have been reading a lot of rules recently, and trying to teach myself how to use Fantasy Grounds at the same time as learning 5E- mostly by watching YouTube videos.

I have to say, the learning curve is nowhere near as big as I though it would be and using this software has actually helped, as the automation of the rules is very good and lets a newcomer learn without having to constantly look at books!

If anybody is worried about making the move from 2nd Ed. to 5th Ed. - don't be worried. And this software is a must.

Many thanks,

RK.
    Welcome to the community. FG is a pretty sweet VTT. Once I got a handle on it, things are so much better for me and my group.

You can keep using 2e also if you want.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I'd no idea I could keep going with 2nd Edition in Fantasy Grounds.

The reason for using moving to 5th is we're all busy with work, kids, etc so arranging to meet up is difficult. I figured I'd go with a supported rule-set, so chose 5th Edition.

I have to say, I like the 5e rules very much. I never thought I'd move from 2nd Ed. ever.

Out of interest, how do I run 2nd. Ed on Fantasy Grounds? Would I need to do a lot of work, as I have most of the materials in book form?

Blog Entries
    Their is a 2E ruleset (or two), but no content (rulebooks) since those are still copyrighted and therefore their content can not be distributed.

That said, the 2E rulesets have the character sheets and the mechanics, but not the items or text etc. Does that make sense?

The rulesets I think you will want to look at are:
    - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-amp-D-Ruleset
    - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...hp/Ruleset:_2E
    - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...D-amp-D-1-or-2

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by sorvan76 View Post
    I'd no idea I could keep going with 2nd Edition in Fantasy Grounds.

The reason for using moving to 5th is we're all busy with work, kids, etc so arranging to meet up is difficult. I figured I'd go with a supported rule-set, so chose 5th Edition.

I have to say, I like the 5e rules very much. I never thought I'd move from 2nd Ed. ever.

Out of interest, how do I run 2nd. Ed on Fantasy Grounds? Would I need to do a lot of work, as I have most of the materials in book form?
    Check out this project: AD&D Core ruleset.

It is possible to get your books in FG (I have them) and it's made a lot easier with some tools I wrote (depending on what you have).

Supported... not as an official ruleset but a community driven one that I've written and based on the 5e one (functionality, not rules).

That said if you are liking 5E it's heavily supported with content (modules you can buy) that do make running games easier. It's a good choice if you're ok with changing the rule system.

If you have any questions about the AD&D Core ruleset feel free to send me a PM here or on the FG discord server.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

LordEntrails and celestian - thank you both so much. I wish I'd known about this stuff before! However, I also really like 5th Ed. so I will persevere with it.

I will check out those rulesets, thank you again.

Sorvan, you should check out Pathfinder. It is a slightly improved version of d&d 3.5. It also has a very robust ruleset under very active development and a butt ton of material in existence or imminent release. I am an old ad&d and 2nd and 3rd edition player that was so pissed at the stupidity (my opinion) of 4th edition that I swore never to go back to wotc because of the betrayal of 4th edition. The other big advantage of Pathfinder is that the publisher actively supports digital editions of all of its material, whereas wotc still won't do PDFs of its stuff for some reason. (But at least they permit FG versions)

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    The other big advantage of Pathfinder is that the publisher actively supports digital editions of all of its material
    And you get the PDF with your FG product, or the cost of the FG purchase is reduced by the price of the PDF if you already own it!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yes, thanks Trenloe for correcting my oversight.

Thread Information