DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: ToA New Map

I can’t check right now but i’m pretty sure this went out with 3.3.3 a couple of weeks ago,
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Yeah, I got the updated version a couple of weeks ago. While it is nice to have because of the grid, it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. I was able to mask it to roughly approximate the in blank hex version that Syndra Silvane gives the players, but since it’s not marked like her map is, I’ve had to drop and label tokens to indicate spots on the map they know. I’m slightly paranoid about accidentally dragging the pins away from their spots since it’s unlabelled, but that would only be a minor inconvenience to cross reference from another version of the map. Being unmarked as it is though, I can unmask it as the group travels and not fear revealing information. It’s a tricky situation to not give away too much information on the map while still letting the players accurately see the terrain they’re in (assuming they aren’t lost of course). I don’t think any map would be perfect, and this one definitely is an improvement since it has the grid. Thank you for getting this updated map Zacchaeus!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundryn View Post
    Yeah, I got the updated version a couple of weeks ago. While it is nice to have because of the grid, it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. I was able to mask it to roughly approximate the in blank hex version that Syndra Silvane gives the players, but since it’s not marked like her map is, I’ve had to drop and label tokens to indicate spots on the map they know. I’m slightly paranoid about accidentally dragging the pins away from their spots since it’s unlabelled, but that would only be a minor inconvenience to cross reference from another version of the map. Being unmarked as it is though, I can unmask it as the group travels and not fear revealing information. It’s a tricky situation to not give away too much information on the map while still letting the players accurately see the terrain they’re in (assuming they aren’t lost of course). I don’t think any map would be perfect, and this one definitely is an improvement since it has the grid. Thank you for getting this updated map Zacchaeus!
    Ok this is exactly why I was asking because the original message said "This map comes without a baked in grid and place names and adds another option for the DM for the exploration aspect of the adventure." However all I see is this map (labeled as a handout by the way) and why it does have a grid there are no place names. I also went with the mask trick but I have to say this type of hex move / reveal doesn't work well in FG. I'm not entirely happy with this map and the blank ones seem useless.

Blog Entries
    Even though Zacchaeus and I don't agree with how everything in ToA was converted, I think he has done everything possible when it comes to this map.

You guys have to understand that Mr. Z. can not create original content. He can only use what is in the actual print version, and in this case, what was distributed online as a free map from the artist. There are only 3 official (2 published, one web distributed) maps/images of Chult for use;
    - A DM map with place names and icons and a grid (named "DM Map Chult" in FG mod)
    - A player handout with some place names and a grid but the interior blanked out (used for both "Player Map Chult Unpinned" and "Player Map Chult Pinned")
    - The artist released bonus map that has no labels and no grid but includes the interior (the bonus map labelled "Players-Chult Complete")

Their is no map or image that mimics the handout in labelling but then also includes the interior. Even though such would be useful, it doesn't exist (officially) and therefore can not be included in the official module.

If such a map is that important to you, take a screen shot of the handout map and download the artists free map (Mike Schley) and use your favorite image editor (like GIMP) to create your own hybrid map. (And then note that such a map could not be distributed since it is still protected by IP laws.)

Lets understand what can be done with a conversion and what can't. Those things that can are great to discuss and debate. Those things that can't, well, what's the point?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

No offense but I think you need to slow down a bit, I'm not complaining on how anyone did anything.

The message said it was Mike's free map with place names. The map in fantasy grounds doesn't have place names on it or at least the one I was looking at (not in front of PC right now), thus my confusion. I see 3 actual items labeled maps. DM Map Chult, Players - Cult Pinned and Players - Cult Unpinned. The other items I see it labeled as a handout and I assume this is Mike's map.

I will look again tonight but it didn't look like the free maps I downloaded from Mike's site to me, those maps have location names. So I'm trying to figure out if I am missing something or my module didn't update right or I'm not missing a thing and the maps are different.

Blog Entries
    No offense taken, and hopefully none given.

There are 4 maps now in ToA, Mike's free map is "Players-Chult Complete" If you're not seeing that one, make sure you have updated and reverted the module if needed (shouldn't need to though).

EDIT: image added in case it helps
    Screen Shot 10-17-17 at 11.44 AM.PNG
    Last edited by LordEntrails; October 17th, 2017 at 19:46.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I perhaps worded the initial post badly. It says the map comes without a grid and place names. By that I meant it does not have a grid and does not have place names. It is essentially blank.

What I did do was make all of the maps the same dimensions so that the pins on all of the maps were in exactly the same positions across all of them. What you can do if you are inclined is add additional pins from story entries you create with the title of the location and then share those with the players. Theu'll then see the name when they mouse over the pin.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I perhaps worded the initial post badly. It says the map comes without a grid and place names. By that I meant it does not have a grid and does not have place names. It is essentially blank.

What I did do was make all of the maps the same dimensions so that the pins on all of the maps were in exactly the same positions across all of them. What you can do if you are inclined is add additional pins from story entries you create with the title of the location and then share those with the players. Theu'll then see the name when they mouse over the pin.
    Ah ok, that was my confusion. So the free players map I downloaded from Mike's site is fully filled in with place names on the mpa given to the players like Port Nyanzaru and Mbala but the map called Players Chult complete doesn't have these labels and the other players maps do have the labels but the middle section is blank as per the map in the hardcover.

What I was looking for was a map identical to the free players map that is available for download. I could import it in but the thing is huge so I'll just try and make due with what I have. The whole hex hunt adventure is awesome but is hard as hell to do in a VTT setting, for me anyway.

Just for clarity

Image of Chult Map in FG FG Chult Map.JPG

Image of Mikes Free Map mikles players chult.JPG
    Last edited by Danimal66; October 17th, 2017 at 23:25.

The second image I think is the DM map. At any rate the one in FG is the one that I was supplied with.

Blog Entries
    That second map is the one in FG that is labelled at the DM map. Doesn't mean you couldn't share it with players, but it has extra icons that they probably shouldn't know about (the skulls etc).

Thread Information