5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread: ToA New Map

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    The second image I think is the DM map. At any rate the one in FG is the one that I was supplied with.
    Yeah no worries but just to be factual it's actually not. If you go to this link and download the zip file from the site you will see it contains the player and DM map. Open both and you can see the difference which I'm doing a poor job explaining. Also the one pictured on this page is the player map and you can see it has less information than the DM map. It is essentially the unpinned player map but with terrain on the blank tiles.

https://prints.mikeschley.com/p92384...8d5c#h956e8d5c

I think perhaps I was also misunderstood. I thanked Zacchaeus for the map, and it's the map I'm using for my group. I appreciate his efforts. I wasn't able to do what I hoped to with it however. I wanted to try and replicate the functionality of Roll 20 using the enhanced images extension to place hexes on the lowest layer of the map that I could then remove tile by tile as they explored. The extension was acting weird (I now know it doesn't work with the hex grid), and I didn't have any tokens that would prevent showing what was on the edges of the hex anyways, so I was disappointed by that, not the map itself. My disappointment is with fantasy grounds (the first time I've been disappointed with the program itself), not with Zacchaeus' work.

I know he's doing the best he can with the limitations we have, it's just disappointing that we can't have different layers that we can manipulate hex by hex like I've seen in Roll 20. It's the one thing I see on the other platform that I'm envious of when it comes to running this adventure. We do have extensions that users have made to help with giving us multiple layers to work with, but there are some other problems that I've encountered when using the enhanced image extension. I tried using it with other campaigns, so I could put down spell effects on the lower layer and not have them interfere with the player's icons on the top layer. I was constantly having problems with having to go to the top of the map to toggle to the lower layer to unmask parts of the map, then toggle back to the top layer to see the player tokens only to realize that they had moved and now I had to reveal more of the map. It slowed the process of exploration down immensely. Also when I added new creatures to the encounter, even if they were supposed to be under the mask, they were placed on the top layer, above the mask and visible to the players in the grey area.

These are limitations of Fantasy Grounds, not the maps themselves. That is what my disappointment was directed towards, not Zacchaeus. Overall I think he did a great job and did the best he could with the limitations he was given.
    Last edited by Thundryn; October 18th, 2017 at 08:53.

So we're about to start TOA soon and I'm starting all my prep (party is about to enter the wave echo caverns if they survive post victory is chult)
    Since you can get the maps of chult from the creators website what I've done is taken both the players no grid and the no lables no grid version and cloned out the undead zones.
    You can do this in a free program like irfanview by pasting the 2 maps together side by side and using the cloning tool to paint over and remove the zones(just zoom in on a pixel on one image move to the same pixel on the other image and clone away)

From this I was able to recreate the players labeled Map with no undead zones so my players can't meta around those zones. Now I just masked the areas that aren't visible on the players map and I can reveal each hex as they move 1 at a time by just using the freehand unmask tool.

Here's a pic so you can see how it looks players vs GM. I think this will work best to facilitate the hex crawl explore and reveal.Just need to copy or move pins from players map to this and all set.

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice work.
    These look like they are possibly giant maps.
    FG doesnt do giant maps too well.
    You might consider having a small version and also chopping the big version into 4 or 9 chunks and working from the smaller ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodydrake View Post
    So we're about to start TOA soon and I'm starting all my prep (party is about to enter the wave echo caverns if they survive post victory is chult)
    Since you can get the maps of chult from the creators website what I've done is taken both the players no grid and the no lables no grid version and cloned out the undead zones.
    You can do this in a free program like irfanview by pasting the 2 maps together side by side and using the cloning tool to paint over and remove the zones(just zoom in on a pixel on one image move to the same pixel on the other image and clone away)

From this I was able to recreate the players labeled Map with no undead zones so my players can't meta around those zones. Now I just masked the areas that aren't visible on the players map and I can reveal each hex as they move 1 at a time by just using the freehand unmask tool.

Here's a pic so you can see how it looks players vs GM. I think this will work best to facilitate the hex crawl explore and reveal.Just need to copy or move pins from players map to this and all set.

Do you happen to still have these maps? I'd love to just upload the image. I really like this module, but the multi-map layout is not very conducive to playing online.

Thread Information