DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 11 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Look at the first post there is a drop box link with setting info there are no classes but think of an archetype and we can get that built:

I'd like to switch from Wizard to Sorcerer. Makes more sense for the background I wrote up and frees me from the memorization thing. Apart from that relatively minor change, my character is ready. Just need to upload him to the server.

Sounds good it's really a minor difference between the two

For anybody still on the fence about character creation--

Like Dershem said-- there are no real classes in Savage Worlds, the decisions you make about what skills and Edges to take are what define your character. It's like having a buffet of character skills to choose from. It can be a bit overwhelming-- but it is also very liberating. You can easily create a Gandalf character, or a Gray Mouser-- characters that might be hard to pull off in standard D&D. The thing to remember is that you can't take everything you want at character creation. Take the skills and Edges that you feel like you must have-- those that define the kind of character you want to play. We should earn around 2-3 XP per night that we play. For every 5 points, you get to level up ("advance") taking a new Edge, Skill, or Power. Roughly every 20 XP points we earn, our characters also go up in rank, gaining access to more powerful abilities. Once per rank you can even spend one of your advances to raise an attribute one die type!

It still isn't a class in the traditional sense, but the Arcane Backgrounds (spellcasters) are a little bit limiting. You can normally only take an Arcane background at character creation, and the Arcane Backgrounds are mutually exclusive-- you can't be a Priest AND a Wizard, for example.

Stealthy characters are always very useful, if somebody wants to roll a Rogue. And what party is complete without a Priest? Savage Worlds has lots of ways to differentiate fighters, too-- you could roll a deadly swordsman, or a deadeye marksman for example.

You start with a d4 in each of your attributes. You get 5 points to raise these attributes, with each raise costing 1 point. You can't raise an attribute above a d12 (past that you start accumulating bonuses-- +1, +2, etc).

You get 15 points to buy skills. Skills start at d4. Raising them costs 1 point per die type up to the level of the linked attribute (see the descriptions in Dershem's handout). Raising them beyond the linked attribute costs 2 points per die type. Again, you can't go above a d12. Important note to remember-- if you don't put at least a point into a skill and you have to make a skill test, you will be rolling a d4-2. Not good odds. Make sure you take any skills you think you will be regularly using. I strongly recommend that everyone put at least a point into fighting, because it figures into your Parry (your defensive value). Without it, you will easily be hit in melee.

Humans get a free Edge. Other races (there's a list of playable races in the handout) get various other bonuses-- very similar to D&D. Half-Elves can choose the Human's free edge over the Elven Agility bonus, if they wish.

Hindrances are optional, but they make your character (and in turn the campaign) more interesting. In exchange for weakening your character a little bit, you can get bonus points to buy attributes, skills, and Edges. You can take as many Hindrances as you want, but you will only benefit from up to 2 minor Hindrances and 1 major Hindrance. For every minor Hindrance you get 1 perk point. For every major Hindrance, you get 2 perk points. Maximum of 4. For 2 perk points you can get another Edge, or raise an attribute 1 die type. For 1 perk point you can gain a skill point, or double your starting funds ($500). For example, my character took the maximum Hindrances I could get points for. With those points, I purchased a second Edge, and raised one of my attributes by 1 die type.

Don't forget that we get bonus languages in addition to our native language-- 1/2 of our Smarts Die type. I am assuming the usual D&D languages are in effect-- there's a good list here-- https://olddungeonmaster.wordpress.c.../dd-languages/

Hope this helps

Thank you Zen!

Common

Human: Flan Most common dialect, Suilese (Common Languages for Mages and other Spell Casters), Ordai -Nomads in the far north., Rhopan- used by the Rhennee (gypsy like folk), Olman- Common tongue used by Aztec like natives of the Ameido Jungle areas.

Racial (Elf, Dwarf, Halfling)
    Goblonoid
    Orcish
    Giant
    Sylvan
    Aquan
    Draconic
    Abyssal
    Infernal
    Celestial
    Primordial

I know these are not pure Greyhawk but I've slimmed it down for ease.

Must have missed this last time I looked, looks like part is full though?
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

I don't mind one more, just in case of turn over

Cool, just to be clear before I get too excited. I am on-call every third week currently; there is a 4th guy in training but will wait to see if things pan out or not with him.
    I have run and played Savage Worlds, but it has been a bit since then, pretty knowledgeable just need to refresh myself on rules.

What roles/types are others playing.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

So far, we have a Sorcerer and a Pirate (fighter, I'm guessing). That's all I've seen on the board.

Thread Information