DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How do you import into or create weapons and armor as items in this GURPS rule set?

Hello. I've recently switched a Roll20 Palladium Fantasy game over to Fantasy Grounds GURPS after reading up on, seeing, and trying out this community developed rule set.

I was able to convert and create the PCs well enough in GURPS Character Assistant (GCA). I was also able to export/import them into the Campaign as was suggested. After import, most of the info from GCA seemed to populated onto the character sheets. It didn't, however, populate items, weapons, armor, etc. they had into the Library Items tab. The items in the inventory section of each character sheet also didn't have any statistics attached to them from GCA - not even the stats were showing up in the combat tabs.

I tried to add the weapons, armor, and items to the Library Items tab from the character sheets. I wanted to do this for when I created animal, monster, and character NPCs in GCA, exported/imported those, built encounters, and added loot parcels preferably dragged from the Library Items tab. I also wanted to manually create some random "loot" item generation tables to help facilitate this.

I tried to drag weapons and armor over to the Library Items tab from the character sheet combat sections where the melee/ranged weapons and armor have their stats listed, but it wouldn't create a record in this fashion. It would create a record if an item was dragged from the character sheet inventory to the Library Items tab, but it didn't go in containing any of the sort of info from GCA like weapons damage or range, shield shield bonus, armor DR, notes, page numbers, etc.

If I manually typed into the available fields for items in the character sheet inventory and drag and dropped those, that info appeared to transfer and make a new record. I could not categorize items based on type (General Item, Armor, Melee Weapon, Ranged Weapon, etc.), rarity, or anything like that. I also couldn't add damage, range, DR, etc. since fields for this info did not appear present.

I tried adding this sort of info into the character sheet inventory item notes section of each item in various ways just in case the Fantasy Grounds parser would pick up this info in the notes like it does in the 5e rule set. I figured maybe when an item record was open, it may allow a mouse hover-highlight, and a click to roll based on syntax. I could not get this to register in any of the ways I tried (1 example, something like: MeleeWeapon: Bastardsword, thrust: +1, swing: +1, MinStr: 11, Reach: 1 or 2, Cost: 650, Skills-to-use: broad-sword or two-hand-sword, Weight: 5, Notes: U/+1 dam 2h)

Can anyone help me with what I'm doing wrong with trying to get items, weapons, and armor into the Library Items tab? Is there a better way to import lists of these from a spreadsheet or anything into the rule set?

Thank you for your help.

Are you sure you're using the correct filter for GCA? Because the items and weapons should be imported with the character...

I believe I am. From what I can tell, they import over from GCA. The melee weapons go into the melee combat tab of the character sheet and have all their details. Ranged weapons into the ranged combat tab of the character sheet. Armor for me does not show up in the protection section of the character sheet. Each of these things do also go in as an entry in the Inventory section of the character sheet, but other than their item name and weight, they contain no other info.

None of the items get added to the Library Items tab. When I try to drag and drop them in manually to the Library Items tab, the don't automatically go in with any combat-oriented item details.

The ruleset does not currently have drag and drop for imported items.

Well, it -does- let me drag and drop items from the Character Sheet Inventory section to the Library Items tab. so I guess that is enabled? Do you mean it isn't enabled to intelligently be linked to all the other info that item may have imported to other parts of the character sheet other than the inventory section?

On import, the only info that populates to that inventory section seems to be the item name and the weight. If the item is a weapon, the extra info appears to go to the Character Sheet Combat section.

If you manually edit and type into the available fields in the items in the character sheet inventory section and drag and drop them into the Library Items tab, it will make a new record there for you. If it is a weapon or armor, there just doesn't appear to be a way to log damage, range, DR, and other related stats other than in the item's notes section.

If I was going to try and add to Library Items tab functionality to either add the extra clickable fields or whatnot, do you know how I would go about doing that? Would it be a tweak to the rule set .xmls or would it be via a custom extension for this rule set?

Pretty sure (I'm not the ruleset developer, so I'm not an expert on it) that the inventory records do not support full weapon statistics, only some real basic info. So, you would have to completely replace the inventory section.

Do you know which files I would look at/modify to do that? Is that found in the rule set's .pak?

campaign/record_char_inventory.xml
    campaign/template_char.xml

Plus any LUA scripts that reference anything in those. Probably a dozen or so of those.

Oh yeah, you'll have to create a whole new item section (along with all supporting scripts), because I believe right now it relies on the underlying CoreRPG item section (which is pretty minimal...)
    Last edited by Andraax; September 9th, 2017 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    campaign/record_char_inventory.xml
    campaign/template_char.xml

Plus any LUA scripts that reference anything in those. Probably a dozen or so of those.
    Thank you! I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out. 😊

Thread Information