STAR TREK 2d20

View Poll Results: Would you back a Patreon/Kickstarter campaign for Smiteworks to improve/update FG?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely

48 54.55%
  • No

17 19.32%
  • Depends (comment below)

23 26.14%
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I'd love Rolemaster updated and Castles and Crusades to have some added functionality.
    As would I but neither of those are SmiteWorks rulesets; they (and by "they" I mean Moon Wizard) only maintain them when a client / CoreRPG update breaks something. Talk to @Andraax up there, he's the new C&C dev. ::wink wink nudge nudge:: Which means a Kickstarter wouldn't do anything for those.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    As would I but neither of those are SmiteWorks rulesets; they (and by "they" I mean Moon Wizard) only maintain them when a client / CoreRPG update breaks something. Talk to @Andraax up there, he's the new C&C dev. ::wink wink nudge nudge:: Which means a Kickstarter wouldn't do anything for those.
    None of that matters to me; those are the things I would support regardless of the behind the scenes stuff.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Well, Dilbert aside, for half a century a slew of entire books have been written about the topic of productivity versus number of people, and it's very controversial. We certainly won't resolve it here. All I can say is that all the research seems to say is "it depends". Certainly in SOME cases, adding people is a terrible idea. And just as certainly adding people has saved some projects from certain doom. It depend heavily on a huge number of variables, from the size and scope of the project to the personalities of the managers, the morale of the team, how well new team members fit, and so on. Outside the company we have almost none of this information so it's useless to speculate. We don't know how many people, the exact project goals, how it's organized, or any of that stuff. And even if we did, few of the variables are based on human foibles and therefore not predictable at all.

I just posted the poll to see what people thought. I know it was extremely vague, but I did that partly because I had to (having no details) and partly on purpose. I hope the discussion here is interesting and hopefully helps Smiteworks make a decision one way or the other, or maybe post their own poll about what features and improvements people want most (if they haven't already).

Quote Originally Posted by dglinder View Post
    ...or maybe post their own poll about what features and improvements people want most (if they haven't already).
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It depends on what is offered.

With a Kickstarter if it is a ruleset, module, etc. that I'm interested in and do want to get I would. If it was the new Unity version I'd do a Kickstarter if I could upgrade that way at decent price.

Patreon is the same way and I'd only support Pateron if I knew I was getting something I wanted and could use with each monthly fee. So if the Patreon was going to be geared to something, like a particular game system I wasn't interested in or overly pricey I'd skip it.

Thanks, Trenloe - I did know about that site but hadn't been able to get it to work until now. I will add my votes. You still may want to sit down with the team and figure out which, say, 20 or so features you are considering the most and then put a poll here. The site is great but there are hundreds of suggestions.

No. As an Ultimate License owner and purchaser of a vast array of FG product already, this is simply asking me for more money with no additional benefits as a consumer that I would not already pay for.
    If the existing business model of licenses and store bought purchases is not providing the cash flow for ongoing support or development, then the business model itself needs changing.

But at this time, I think everything is in order, there seems to be a constant stream of new customers, new products, development with the current architecture, as well as development of a product that will take FG into the future, and see that no change is necessary from this standpoint.
    Currently Running: Eberron
    Recently Complete: Lost Mines of Phandelver / Green Ronins Freeport Trilogy / Tomb of Horrors
    Currently playing: nothing at the moment.
    Timezone: Australian Sydney Time - what ever the hell that is at the moment

Well, for those of you voting vehemently "no", I'll just point out that in no way, shape, or form does something like this really affect the status quo business model in this case. It's just an additional/alternative means of funding. I'm sure anything developed would still be made available for sale in the normal way so no one is forced to back anything they don't want to. Usually, backers may get discounts, bundles, or early access, but nothing game-based that other people can't get. Just live some people subscribe to HBO and other people choose to buy movies individually, no one's preference interferes with anyone else's.

Blog Entries
    I know you intentionally left the survey vague. But doing that has also meant that it's difficult to understand what benefit there might be in funding something through KS. You say it wouldn't change the status quo, but then say it would be an alternative means of funding. Funding what?

As mentioned, I don't see how it would help Unity development. And if it's for rulesets or modules, then either if it's WotC stuff it's not needed. Possibly for PF or other systems, but most third party modules aren't really done through SW and some of those do KS's anyway.

So, it seems like you are trying to get at something, but I don't understand what you are really wanting to get at.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I understand the funding model, being pay upfront to support development or product creation and in return receive xyz product (or service) upon completion for your patronage. However, in the current instance I don't see that this is required or needed.

If Smiteworks came out and said, "Hey we want to create this fantastic Unity system, but can't stump up cash for development" then I would fully be on board with a kickstarter, but I currently see no value to this model for this situation.

On a side note; I didn't vehemently vote "no". A survey was raised, and 'No' was an option. I voted based upon the question posed and I offered the reasons for my response on the subject. If I voted 'yes' I would still have provided an explanation for my reasoning.
    Currently Running: Eberron
    Recently Complete: Lost Mines of Phandelver / Green Ronins Freeport Trilogy / Tomb of Horrors
    Currently playing: nothing at the moment.
    Timezone: Australian Sydney Time - what ever the hell that is at the moment

Thread Information