STAR TREK 2d20

How to resolve Movement Maneuver?

Hello.

New player here.How does the ruleset resolve the Movement Maneuver?
    Last edited by Manolo Warrior; September 3rd, 2017 at 17:44.

When you first open Fantasy Grounds, click the folder icon in the top right hand corner of the main FG launch screen. This will open the FG Application Data directory in file explorer. Go to the "docs" directory, there is a "FG-RMC User Manual (1.5).pdf" document - page 25 gives info on "Moving Maneuver"
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I still think that the results tend to be somehow out of logic to be honest...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halatir View Post
    I still think that the results tend to be somehow out of logic to be honest...
    How so?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I have been GMing Rolemaster (and MERP) campaigns for decades and have always found the M&M to be very rules heavy. Even in Rolemaster campaigns, I tend to use the MERP scaled down rules for M&M since they don't bog down an already slow game (if playing out of books and not on FG2). The idea behind M&M is very simple and similar to other systems but Rolemaster adds levels of detail that while nice for exactitudiners(tm) is not really necessary for the other 99% of gamers.

-Player states the nature of their move/maneuver
    -GM assigns it a degree of difficulty and assigns any modifiers
    -The Character decides to continue or cancel
    -If they continue they make an open-ended d100 roll
    -They apply all modifiers to the roll
    -GM consults the M&M chart and determines what happens

Two main types of M&M:

1. All or nothing - Example: Jump and grab a ledge across the alleyway.
    2. Percentage of completion or percentage of possible movement actually moved.

My recommendation is to read the M&M rules until you are sick of it and then cut out what you don't like and modify the rest to fit your sessions.
    I personally tend to use the given table result as a guideline and simply tell the player how well or poor they did. As for actual Movement I will only use the exact table distances if the player is in a race against another character or against time and the exactness is cruicial to the drama... otherwise its base+ etc. As for stride; If I had a character with an abnormally long stride I would simply calculate it into their base Movement during character creation and then only factor it in if i matterered. As for encumbrance; I like to use generic values (slightly, moderately, heavily, etc) and then just assign it a standard penalty. Ie.. Duri the Dwarf has gathered ALL the armor and weapons of their slain Orc and Goblin foes, again... even though being told time and time again it is of poor quality and smells of rancid flesh... Since he stores it in a large backpack/sack he totes around with him it is understood that if he has to perform a maneuver/movement with the pack on he suffers x penalty (depending on how much junk he has collected up to that point..) armor encumbrance is already handled so I don't worry about it.

Thread Information