STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Do you guys think the new Dungeon Fantasy RPG will be compatuble?

I have just pre-ordered the box set which is supposed to come out next month, and it's it's mostly based on GURPS but apparently some things have been trimmed or changed to better suit a pick up and play style according to the interview I watched. I was wondering if anyone who got a kickstarter copy can tell me if this module will be compatible with that new stand alone game? I am wanting to run games of Dungeon Fantasy as the first game I GM for my friends in FG and it would be the first time for them using Fantasy Grounds as well.

I have not read Dungeon fantasy, but considering that the GURPS ruleset is VERY light on automation i don't think there will be a problem. The only automation (unless there has been huge changes since i fiddled with it last) are where the ruleset tells you if your skill or ability roll succeeded or not. I don't think it will be a problem. But maybe i lack imagination...

/Honken

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing!

Now running the first installment of Horizons of the Vast, a Starfinder Campaign, and Kingmaker 2nd ed.

From what I have seen it will be fine to play DF with the GURPS ruleset.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

This is good to know, since I was thinking to ask the same question.
    "We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
    J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

"It emerges that physics is basic but inessential; that is the crucial fact."
    Wolfgang Smith

I got the KS box a few weeks ago.

I've only managed to get through the first book, which essentially details the Characters constraints/changes. I know there were some parts that felt a *little* different, but mostly it seems to be just limiting the ads/disads and Skills and providing templates for "classes" (professions) and races, and specifically restricts certain advantages for use with particular professional templates in order to make those templates feel more like classes.

One thing off the top of my head would be like, appearance advantage/disadvantages that don't cover the full range of point buy options. Players aren't given the option to take, say, a godlike appearance to terrify or enthrall anyone they come across, for instance.

Characters don't deal with Rank/Social Status/Contacts
    Ads/Disads are not broken down by Type.

Ads/Disads are mostly pre-built powers and vulnerabilities.

Like, you won't see Affliction, Extra Arms/Legs, Flight, Extra Life, Duplication, Dominance or Possession, Shapeshifting etc. No detailing of any modifiers at all.
    Basically, nobody builds their powers. Rather they were already built with those systems and applied as "class"/profession template features.

All in all, it feels the same, though. I don't see how you'd have any trouble at all mixing in a customized ability or feature using the Basic rules. Whether that's building the ability/power/boon/race with those rules, doing the calculations for point cost and providing the flavor text/game world explanation/skinning or just slowly introducing advantages and more detailed systems as time goes on.

Exploits, the second book, will likely hold the bulk of the changes I'd expect could cause conflicts depending on how much the GURPS ruleset automates things out of the box, or how much work people have put into their own modifications and what assumptions those rulesets make.

I'm sure between FG and SJG's stances on IP, there isn't a whole lot to worry about as far as automation or even distributed rules content is concerned.

It'll likely be more about the conflict between similarly named ads/disads/skills/spells you've manually entered for your game, and the ones that have minor tweaks (like capping levels of wealth, appearance, etc)

Innate Attack, for instance, in Dungeon Fantasy boxed set, is basically "beam or projectile" for most characters, and it's specifically listed as a skill to use spells with, and not things like Affliction/Binding which doesn't exist at all in the "Adventurers" book. Breath and Gaze specialties are even listed as "mostly things monsters use"

I'd imagine if you wanted to add it to an existing GURPS module you've built, you'd need to distinguish it as like, a "DF Innate Attack" instead if you wanted to have the more specialized/constrained form of it available for reference in game.

And it would be great to have a shareable custom Dungeon Fantasy RPG skin. However some specific images require permission, I think, but nonetheless SJG could grant it.
    "We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
    J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

"It emerges that physics is basic but inessential; that is the crucial fact."
    Wolfgang Smith

This recent post may be of interest as well, for the future if not right away.

(DOH, this is the same link demonsbane posted above but I can't seem to delete.)

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke View Post
    Good news everyone!

I've had to keep this quiet for long time, but can now finally announce it. For the past few months SJG has been looking at what we've been doing with the GURPS ruleset and they really like it. They have granted me permission to continue development which also includes features like automation. Probably even more exciting is, SJG will over the next couple of months monitor the interest in GURPS on Fantasy Grounds. If sufficient, they will look at officially licencing which means we may start seeing official GURPS content made available.

Look out for a Daily Illuminator article about it.
    How to Be a GURPS GM, author
    Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, intro for beginners)
    Discord, unofficial GURPS hangout and real-time chat

Quote Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
    And it would be great to have a shareable custom Dungeon Fantasy RPG skin.
    The current skin is specifically designed to be non-genre-specific. It's near-100% that I'll start a fantasy-themed skin project once the current one has been fully polished.
    It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

Thread Information