DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Incorrect Handling of Effects on a "Half on Success"

For spells that deal both damage and an effect, and that dole out half damage on a successful saving throw, the effect that is applied is improperly handled by Fantasy Grounds. An example is the Sunbeam spell. When the spell is cast, targets get to make a saving throw, those that fail take full damage and are blinded. Those that succeed their saving throw take half damage and are not blinded.

Fantasy Grounds properly handles the damage part, but applies the effect (in the example, being blinded) to all targets whether they successfully saved or not.

In the attached screenshot, the Wizard is casting the Sunbeam spell at three ogres. As shown in the character sheet (on the right side of the screenshot) the ogres are allowed a constitution saving throw. The spell has both a damage component and an effect component.

As shown in the chat subwindow, on the left side, from top to bottom: (1) The ogres make their saving throws, Ogre 1 and Ogre 3 are successful, Ogre 2 is not. (2) Ogres 1 and 3 take half damage, Ogre 2 takes full damage. (3) All ogres are blinded, which is incorrect per the spell parameters.

I could not find an extension that remedies this so I have been working on one. Before I finish it up and post it, is this slated to be fixed in an upcoming release?

HalfOnSuccess-Fails.png
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

When an action is set with Damage = "Half on Success" the creatures that fail the save are not removed from the FG targeting - so that damage can be applied correctly to all of the original targets (full or half).

When you then apply a non damage effect it is applied to all current targets. Which is all of the original targets due to the half on success damage setting.

This is an edge case where there is an additional effect/condition on top of the "Half on success" damage and will have to be manually handled.

Good luck with writing an extension for this - as subsequent damage/effects are asynchronous (i.e. additional actions after the save), it could be quite challenging to code reliably to cover all possible scenarios and the initiation order of various actions
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    ... Good luck with writing an extension for this - as subsequent damage/effects are asynchronous (i.e. additional actions after the save), it could be quite challenging to code reliably to cover all possible scenarios and the initiation order of various actions
    Yikes... Last time I tried to write an extension (EVOE) after a warning like that from you guys I found myself so far out to sea that I finally had to scuttle the boat. I thought I was nearly done with the extension and about ready to post it. Now I find myself reluctant to take the helm..
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; September 2nd, 2017 at 01:35. Reason: Oops! the word is scuttle, not shuttle! And to think, Im a sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    I thought I was nearly done with the extension and about ready to post it. Now I find myself reluctant to take the helm..
    Hey, if you think you're nearly done then finish it up and post it. I'm hoping you've found a cool way of handling this.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

This thread actually just sparked a random thought. Maybe I can just have the ruleset remove the targets when half damage applied/evaded?

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    This thread actually just sparked a random thought. Maybe I can just have the ruleset remove the targets when half damage applied/evaded?
    That would probably work. As long as damage was the first action applied after the save - which was kinda what I was eluding to above when I mentioned "the initiation order of various actions" being a potential issue.

I can't think of any situation where such a removal would cause an issue.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    This thread actually just sparked a random thought. Maybe I can just have the ruleset remove the targets when half damage applied/evaded?JPG
    My only complaint would be inconsistent behavior between the two buttons.
    The Damage (Dmg) would not clear the unaffected targets.
    But the Effect (Eff) button would.

Plus if someone applied the Effect first then the damage button would not work right (as Trenloe mentions).
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; September 2nd, 2017 at 00:47. Reason: spelling error (missed "n't" and credit to Trenloe)
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters

Blog Entries
    I just posted my extension (here).

I followed the exact methodology that is currently (FG v3.3.2) used in the ruleset code to handle the damage to handle the effect application.

It took me about 2 weeks (~ 40-60 hours) to completely dissect the code and thoroughly understand it, then about 6 hours to develop the extension.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; September 2nd, 2017 at 00:39. Reason: minor grammer and spelling errors
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:

Thread Information