5E Character Create Playlist

5e Set Effect duration to End of Next Turn?

The Fey Presence ability (Warlock/Archfey) says it expires at the end of the casters next turn. Is there a way to set this for the effect duration?

Since the ability allows for Charmed or Frightened effects there is no effect automatically applied, but since Charmed has no scripted modifiers it is not needed in the combat tracker in most cases (as far as I can see). So I want to add an Effect to Fey Presence that adds Frightened on a failed save by the target. That part is easy, but how do I make Frightened wear off at the end of the caster's next turn?

I have seen that you can manually put in initiative number each time the ability is used but that seems a bit clunky for something like this. Or can the Initiative value be set as a variable or something?

Thanks.

When you create the effect set it to expire in 1 turn. When it is applied it will expire at the beginning of the caster's turn. If you really need it to apply until the end of the turn then you'll need to go into the CT and amend the 'initiative to adjust on' to be slightly higher than the initiative of the caster. So, if the caster's initiative is 10 then change the value to 10.1.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks!
    I figured there are so many conditions/effects etc. that end after the caster's next turn it would a selection option.
    Maybe in a later update?

Also, wouldn't the above advice end the effect before the caster's turn?
    I imagine it would just be a matter of putting the initiative slightly lower, rather than higher, than the caster's right?

Quote Originally Posted by colincbn View Post
    Thanks!
    I figured there are so many conditions/effects etc. that end after the caster's next turn it would a selection option.
    Maybe in a later update?

Also, wouldn't the above advice end the effect before the caster's turn?
    I imagine it would just be a matter of putting the initiative slightly lower, rather than higher, than the caster's right?
    Yes, sorry. Wasn't paying enough attention
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Right on.
    So to recap, I would set the duration to two rounds (I tried it with 1 RND but after I changed the init adjustment from 8 to 7.9 it ended the effect as soon as I progressed the CT, directly after casting), and then change the init adjustment down by .1 for everyone effected?

I really hope there is a way this could be made into a simple selection option for the effect duration. This first lvl Warlock has access to Blade Ward, True Strike, and of course Fey Presence (which effects multiple targets requiring multiple adjustments in the combat tracker) all of which end at the end of the caster's next turn.

And thx for the Discord advice!

So, yes the default is that any effect will be removed at the start of the players turn on his initiative count whether the effect is on the player or an NPC. Where an effect should expire at the end of that player's turn then you should set the duration of the effect to 2 rather than 1 turn and when the effect is placed reduce the 'initiative to adjust on' to a value lower than the player's initiative. So if the player's initiative is 10 then set the initiative to adjust on to 9.9. (It can be anything lower that the players initiative but higher than the next initiative in line).

Thread Information