Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Yet another reference manual question (5e)

If I have an existing campaign (5e) that is am using to make a module and I want to add a reference manual, what are my options? Can I open up the campaign with an XML editor and then add in the reference manual by coding in XML (which seems to be a popular option for many developers).

I am comfortable using the in game tools for 5e, but there are some larger projects I want to try at some point and reference manuals seem to be needed.

The only in game option I see is to use the savage worlds extension. That looks like it needs some finesse to use for 5e.

When I am running an adventure I never use reference manuals. But when I am reading them to prepare, especially larger source books that have a lot of "fluff", the better formatting looks and reads better.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Unless you still have a copy of par5e the only two options are hand coding in XML or using the SW extension.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Can I open up an existing campaign in and XML editor and then add the reference manual?

I do have par5e, but I have the older, external version.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

The external version of par5e is all you need if you are just doing it for yourself.

Not sure about opening up a campaign and adding it in, but I don't see any particular reason why that wouldn't work. I think you'd need to do more than just add it in since I'm not sure that a campaign creates a library.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

In theory you can do it in a campaign, but you'd get issues with the library information displaying properly - e.g. it's looking for information that would normally be in the module definition file and the thumbnail image. And development would be a pain (see below).

To be perfectly honest, I don't know why you'd want to manually edit this directly into a campaign. The data structure would need to be exactly the same as a module, as the library is just designed to display module data. And, you'd be stuck with your nice reference manual in a campaign and not be able to export it or re-use it without further copying/pasting.

My advice would be to put it in a module - you've got less chance of breaking your base campaign, and you'll have it available in other campaigns as well. And development would be much quicker - you can change the module XML, close and re-open the module and you see your changes immediately. Editing the campaign db.xml file directly means you can't make any changes in the campaign interface, and you can completely wipe out data if FG doesn't recognise it or you have an XML error.
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 8th, 2017 at 22:33.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I have a campaign where I have a reference manual in it. It's better to make them in modules though. If for some reason you specifically wish it to be in the campaign (as I do), I recommend making the code in another file and then copy/pasting it into the db.xml file under the <root> tag. You will need to put a link in a story to access it. (These are in the <encounter> tag in the db.xml.) Add the following code inside the <text type="formattedtext"> tag of one of the stories, renaming the manual from 'adventuremanual' to whatever the tag for your reference manual is.
    Code:
    <link class="reference_manual" recordname="adventuremanual.manualindex">Ref Manual</link>
    Again, don't bother with this unless you really want the reference manual inside the campaign. Otherwise just make a module and open it in the campaign.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    I guess I need to be more specific, I make a new campaign for every module I make, and then export it into a module. All the other XML elements are created for me using in game tools. I want a reference manual as well, mainly just for the layout for DM reading.

I am assuming that if I want to easily have links to the existing material it needs to be in the campaign, but maybe I need to do everything else and then make a module and then edit the module?

Reference manuals cannot be created within FG at this time.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    Yes, except savage worlds with the extension.

Which is why I want to know what I am supposed to do to add a reference manual to a module I started via a campaign (actually done and functional but I want a reference manual as well).

OK, now I'm completely confused as to what you've done and what you're asking.

If you're not going to use the Savage Worlds extension to create a reference manual module, then you're going to have to manually create the module in XML. If you're going to use the SW extension then create the reference library using the extension and export it to a module.

If you've already created a reference manual within a campaign, and it's not the made with the SW extension, then you'll need to create a skeleton module and copy/paste the <library> entry that has the link to the reference manual, and then all of the reference sections (layout and pages).

But, as I've said already. If you are going to make a reference manual then my strong recommendation is to make it as a module (manually editing XML external to FG unless you're using the SW extension). Details on the XML format of a reference manual here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...erence_Manuals

If none of the above is relevant, please take a step back and describe exactly what you want to do. Thanks.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information