FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Static NPC makes my game not so Fast and Furious

Hi there!
    I GMing Last Parsec with veteran players. They have 15 armor and can make a lot of damage in just one turn.
    This forces me to change all NPC stats before (on right in) any battle.
    But some of NPC have static sheets (red locks) and I must copy it, change and put back into trackers.
    This is really not useful.
    Sure, I can change any NPC in CT, but when I have a 8 NPC, this is not useful again.
    Is exist any way to change "red locked" NPC stats without making a copy and paste each one into CT manually?

Make a module with copies of all the NPCs you might want to use, edit them there, then open the module in your campaign.

Blog Entries
    The DLC Guidelines state that for reference modules, a lot of the stuff is supposed to be read-only. Adventure modules, on the other hand, we just "lock" but don't set to read-only. You'll find the same thing in the WotC 5E modules, the Paizo Pathfinder modules, and so on.

Now, if you have one of the Last Parsec adventures, and the NPCs are set to read-only, you can bring it to the attention of the DLC Developer who did it and see if they'll patch it.

Or don't drag NPCs straight from the monster Manual into the encounter. Make a copy of them first and drag the copy into the encounter. Or don't show the players your dice rolls (if this is possible) and fudge your rolls so you hit more.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Very unusuable in middle of combat with 8 equal NPC, I can say.
    Yes, Eris Beta V have some NPC with red locks. I thinking this is a links to Sci-Fi NPCs.

If you cannot click on an encounter and just use it, all you've done is create a source of frustration and you are not meeting the expectations of the consumer.

This stuff was brought up like 2 months ago, btw. As far as I am concerned, having clickable encounters was a promised MAJOR selling point that isn't being delivered.

Encounters works and very useful. I just want to have a way to change sometimes NPC stats in a middle of combat, not BEFORE it.
    Sadly, some encounters have redlocked NPCs inside, so this slowed my games, because I need copy/change/put NPCs again. I can change NPCs stats inside CT, but this is very slow for 8 equal NPCs.
    Other way: to modify each encounter before game. But this is not very useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    If you cannot click on an encounter and just use it, all you've done is create a source of frustration and you are not meeting the expectations of the consumer.

This stuff was brought up like 2 months ago, btw. As far as I am concerned, having clickable encounters was a promised MAJOR selling point that isn't being delivered.
    As mentioned by Atrill, this is not the issue being raised here. The encounters mentioned are "clickable encounters".
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Atrill View Post
    Encounters works and very useful. I just want to have a way to change sometimes NPC stats in a middle of combat, not BEFORE it.
    Sadly, some encounters have redlocked NPCs inside, so this slowed my games, because I need copy/change/put NPCs again. I can change NPCs stats inside CT, but this is very slow for 8 equal NPCs.
    Other way: to modify each encounter before game. But this is not very useful too.
    I understand this is frustrating for you. There are best practice guidelines for what should be created as read-only (creatures, etc. from a base rulebook) and what shouldn't here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Best_Practices

The guidelines are that entries from a rulebook should be read-only, and entries in an adventure shouldn't. The reason for this is to ensure that whenever you use an entry from a rulebook you are using the exact same rulebook entry, and not something you may have inadvertently modified within your campaign.

Looking at Eris Beta V: all of the creatures within the adventure module itself can be unlocked. But creatures linked from rules sources (e.g. the Science Fiction Companion) are read-only because they are being accessed from the base rules source, where all records are read-only. For example: Random Encounter: Burrowing Doom uses the Death Worm from the Science fiction Companion.

All I can suggest is doing a quick check before you add an encounter to the Combat Tracker, and do the quick drag/drop changes as required. I know it's annoying, but it's literally the following few steps:
    1) When a Random Encounter (or normal encounter) is opened, click on the NPC link/s to see if they are read-only. If they are not read-only, skip to step #5.
    2) If the NPC/s are read-only, open the NPC campaign data list from the right-hand desktop sidebar and drag the NPC link from the random encounter to the NPC list - this will create a copy of the NPC.
    3) Edit the copied NPC as required.
    4) Unlock the encounter and drag the copied NPC link back to the encounter list - it will create a new entry, modify as appropriate (change encounter numbers etc.).
    5) Use the encounter.

I've put a quick video together showing these steps and towards the end it shows how quickly these steps can be applied.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...1c2b3VXV3dLY28 (SD video available - Google is currently creating the HD video - download the actual file and play locally if HD is not available through a browser).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    As mentioned by Atrill, this is not the issue being raised here. The encounters mentioned are "clickable encounters".
    I see. In my case, every encounter involves unarmed mooks that I can not arm because they are locked. And there are tons of unarmed mooks in Deadlands.

Thread Information