STAR TREK 2d20

Adding Effects to Spells/Magic Items

Hi All,

I have found out how to add effects to spells as a new spell action, so now for instance my Sorcerer's Haste spell has a Haste effect that we can easily grant to other players. My question here is can I add an effect to the spell listing itself within the module/library through the FG UI? This way any time a character in the future adds Haste to their spell list, this effect would already be there? It would be very useful for all the spells that manipulate stats. I'm guessing no but wanted to confirm/ask for this functionality. I've looked all over within FG and while I can find all the Pathfinder specific information(School, Level, Components, etc.), I have not found FG specific information, which in this case would be the spell action, more specifically effect, like "AC:4 armor" if it was Mage Armor. There clearly is a field for this since I can see spell actions like damage die populate automatically but I can't find them within the UI. I'm guessing I could do this by opening the modules in a text editor or something and changing the code?

Along a similar vein, the current preference for people is to use Effects to maintain most magic items bonuses correct? For instance, when a PC gets Bracers of Armor +1, I should give that PC an effect of "AC:1 armor"? I know that I can manually adjust the AC on the sheet but I think I like going all in one way so I know if I remove a magic item, I need to look for it's effect and I don't have to worry about manually adjusting base stats depending on the item.

Lastly, is there a way to give magic items effects in the same way I asked for spells? That way if a PC equips a Bracers of Armor +1, their AC just automatically goes up by 1? And if they unequip, it automatically goes down by 1? I've noticed equipping magic items does not seem to automatically grant the bonuses and past threads indicate effects are the best option.

I apologize if this has all been asked, it's not so easy to find threads on the topic that are newer than 2012 it seems. Thanks!

Let me answer the questions with the information I have:

Spell Actions
    These are either parsed automatically by the ruleset using the wording of the spell, or have to be added directly by the user.

Other approaches that might work, but are untested:
    * Drag spell entries between a dummy character and the desired character to preserve the actions.
    * Create a module with the spell action entries.

Item Effects
    If an item's effect is semi-permanent (i.e. Bracers of Armor), I usually just set as the armor bonus for the character.
    If an item's effect only exists temporarily when activated (i.e. Ring of Invisibility), then I set these up as an "Items" spell class and trigger the effects from there.

Hope that helps,
    Regards,
    JPG

Much appreciated Moon, thanks for the information!

For anyone else that finds this thread, here is the Idea on the FG Wish List.

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=50690

I do what Moon Wizard does. Bracers of Armor would go in the "Armor" section of the character sheet. Mage Armor would be an effect.

I like to put all effects in the Combat Tracker so that they stack correctly, and you can see what's being applied. The only drawback with this is that the AC (etc.) on the character sheet only shows the "base" level, since all effects are only applied on a roll. It would be nice if there was some facility to see what the "adjusted" AC (etc.) was.

You can designate the type of AC in the Combat Tracker effect to get it to stack correctly. The only stacking issue is for stuff like Natural Armor vs Natural Armor Enhancement (which doesn't affect most characters) and "miscellaneous" types (like sacred, luck, profane, etc).

Thread Information