STAR TREK 2d20

Locking down tokens completely?

Hey, I'm new/not new (I somehow got a full license back in 2009 and some how I forgot /shrug).

Anyway, hopefully, this is the place to ask it. I am now messing around and trying to learn how to use the software and I bought a token pack to for persistent spells. The problem I'm having is I can't figure out how to lock it down so myself or players can't move it. Cause if they are trying to get out of the spell effect when they go to drag their PCs they can sometimes drag the spell token. Or maybe I'm just missing an option that I'm not seeing.

If anybody could help that would be lovely.

You can't lock tokens unless you place them on the map via the Combat Tracker. What you need to look into is using the layers extension which will allow you to put the tokens on a different layer from the player tokens so that you can move the spell tokens and the players tokens independently.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You can't lock tokens unless you place them on the map via the Combat Tracker.
    Token movement can be locked for players regardless of where the token comes from - it's not limited to tokens added from the combat tracker. Info on movement locking here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...okens#Movement

The issue here is that this is just for players and locking the tokens doesn't stop interaction with them and so token stacking issues (difficult to select the tokens you want) come into play. Hence the need for image layers, which is what the extension mentioned provides.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks, now I just need to get used to the layers. I'm assuming anything I want to hide with the fog of war essentially any element of the room would be on the originals first level, spells and what not go in the second and battling on the third.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmaer View Post
    'm assuming anything I want to hide with the fog of war essentially any element of the room would be on the originals first level, spells and what not go in the second and battling on the third.
    Yep.

Also make sure you read the gotchas etc. in the first couple of posts of the extension thread as there are some limitation with using the layers.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

This is probably not the way you want to go, but if you find you don't like the layers extension, here's some things to consider:

1. If you attach spell tokens to an NPC and make the NPC hostile (red background), players will not be able to move the effect tokens when tokens are locked. You'll still have an issue with their tokens dropping below it and you'll need to move the template to shift it back below the PC token.
    2. If you hold Ctrl then you can drag a movement line out from any token rather than directly moving it, so you can kinda lock tokens for yourself.

I talked to the artist of the spell effects tokens about designing them with transparency over the center of each square the token aligns to, but I don't think he understood what I meant.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thread Information