DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    The Commissioned Devs do it for the love of the game (whichever game that is) - as the Dev for the 13th Age I can tell you the amount of commission is surprisingly small. Most (half?) of the price of a given item goes to to the original game licensee, then SmiteWorks gets their cut for both their Intellectual Property (the FG engine, etc) and for the FG Store expenses, etc. What's left is... a fair price but certainly not a price someone could live on (the hourly rate sux big-time ).

Its a hobby, not a career, and I would hazard a guess that most of the Community/Commissioned Devs feel the same way.

Coming from both a FOSS and a Proprietary Software and ICT background, yes, I'd like to see more / better / more extensive documentation, but as all things in a hobby (and even in the FOSS world) "put up or shut up" - if we want something badly enough we do it ourselves (or pay someone to do it for us)... or we can bitch and complain repeatedly in the hope that this will goad people to action - and that never works (and I'm speaking as someone who both gets bitched and complained at and who also has run FOSS & Proprietary Projects) because all it does is make the people who might be inclined to do it annoyed. Oh sure, raise the issue, but then don't harp on and on about it.

In the particular case of SmiteWorks and FG - the number of people who would benefit from the type of doco being discussed is only a small, small percentage of the user-base - and while I might miss some good doco I would wager that the majority of that small small percentage has the skills necessary to "work it out for themselves" anyway. Those who can't will end up asking questions which the Community will answer. So from a cost-benefit and SWOT analysis its not worth the time and effort for SW to do it, especially when that means taking dev-hours away from other, more "bang for your buck" activities.

Just my $0.02 worth

Note: Rereading what I just wrote it occurs to me that some people might take what I said personally. That is not my intention; I am speaking generally and not at any one individual or group of individuals - so please, nobody get their nose out of joint over it - let's keep it civil at all times, shall we?
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

? FOSS developers tend to be pretty gainly employed. It's more when a paid for product takes freely contributed items then attempts to market it that itches many the wrong way.

In regards to documentation 'put up or shut up' as you call it. I always comment my code even minimally with snarky remarks both in work, and FOSS. It's fosters more collaboration and many eyes make for short work in terms of finding bugs and bringing in improvements. Coming into to FG, I don't really see myself developing documentation given how the 'core' rulesets are maintained by the developers themselves so it makes sense for the 'maintainers' to keep that up to date. Sure one can 'put up' but they're not the maintainer, so if the maintainer decides some things are being depreciated it's a game of catch up which is alleviated by the maintainer putting a comment in the new code.

This is just standard 101 for any major FOSS, especially if you're devel on any distribution or a package maintainer. You maintain and document your own package, and or contributions so others can understand what you wrote. In the corporate world lack of documentation is seen as 'job secruity' but we've let people go who've failed code reviews, relying purely on obfuscation which when untangled at additional effort revealed nothing special. Not to say FG is intentionally confusing, but for anyone who wishes to start modding it's confusing as heck.
    Last edited by Ken L; August 14th, 2017 at 06:19.

As I said in my previous post, looking at things from a cost-benefit anaysis I can see why things are the way they are - do I particularly like it this way? Not really, but I'd rather have the Devs spending their limited resources on new features, etc, because IMNSHO the dev-doco, while incredibly useful to me, is only going to benefit a very small percentage of the user-base - and I haven't been that disadvantaged without it (DOEs as a practical example).

Anyway, that's enough said from me - I've made my point and said my piece. I've leave this thread to continue on its merry way - its a better cost-benefit for me to work on actually coding for the Community

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Blog Entries
    I agree with Ken and with Dulux-Oz. There is a woeful lack of documentation for much of anything, and the majority of documentation that exists is written for people who are already knowledgeable programmers. There's also not enough free time for the couple developers at SmiteWorks to write up extensive Wiki articles, and the usual batch of Wiki authors around here are not programmers or markup ... "markers" (we really need a cool-sounding word for that, since it isn't "programming") so don't know what to do with it. For newcomers who want to dig in and help, it's a daunting task with almost nothing but uphill obstacles.

Reference Manuals are a good example. There was zero documentation for them from the developers, then added to that, The Community™ was very misguided about that and ganged up to prevent any of that code getting out because it was "proprietary 5E code" or so they thought, until we proved them wrong. I was an incredible pain in the *** via emails, etc. until I was provided with example code then later Moon Wizard wrote up the wiki page for reference manuals. (In my defense, I was new last year and unfamiliar with just how small SmiteWorks actually is, which makes me even more appreciative now that Moon Wizard took the time to write that documentation.)

I suppose it would partially fall to the DLC Developers ourselves to write up the documentation, though I don't know how many besides me and one or two others who spend more time in the XML than anywhere else (except for the Ruleset Devs and Lua scripters). But once again, that runs up against their free time. I sure don't have much...

Just to be clear - my initial post was simply a polite request, not a demand. It wasn't aimed directly at Smiteworks staff, either - I simply hoped that someone who was already familiar with the new structures would be able to provide the info. For many of us, work and family commitments leave precious little time to sit in front of our PC at home delving around inside FG, and so it's really helpful if useful information about the software is readily available. Nonetheless, the fantastic FG community rose to the challenge, as always, and gave me the info I needed - thanks! I hope I've done my part in helping others out over the years.

Was it frustrating that it took me so long to update a module that I'd been happily using for some time but had been rendered inoperative by changes to the core FG code? Yes, slightly. Does this mean that I feel any resentment towards the Smiteworks team or the Fantasy Grounds software? No, not one bit - I think they are a great group of people who do a fantastic job producing an amazing piece of software that I will continue to use and recommend to others into the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    We look forward to seeing the documentation that you come up with. You *are* volunteering to do this, right? :-)
    If I manage to find the time to sit down in front of my PC at home and do it, sure. ;-) It would also be nice if I had editing rights to the wiki so I could put it somewhere appropriate.
    Last edited by Callum; August 14th, 2017 at 19:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    It would also be nice if I had editing rights to the wiki so I could put it somewhere appropriate.
    If you write it up and send me a copy (in Wiki format) I'll post it up for you
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    Was it frustrating that it took me so long to update a module that I'd been happily using for some time but had been rendered inoperative by changes to the core FG code? Yes, slightly. Does this mean that I feel any resentment towards the Smiteworks team or the Fantasy Grounds software? No, not one bit - I think they are a great group of people who do a fantastic job producing an amazing piece of software that I will continue to use and recommend to others into the foreseeable future.
    What should be noted here was that it was the unique situation of the content you were using suddenly getting covered by a license and a pay product being offered that did what you wanted. Not something that happens regularly and a situation where legally the product you use could have been disallowed. Yeah, it's frustrating when things change, but it wasn't just changes to the FG code that caused this; it was a entire shift to producing licensed products for PF. I'm not surprised that thing changed in the wake of that (in fact, I believe I state it would be needed in the announcement thread for the PF license).
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    Even simpler: this boils down to the SRD modules not being updated (yet?) with the 3.3 features. At this point, using the SRD modules ends up with your characters being incomplete, and you're stuck with the old way of doing things, which would be no big deal, we did it for years — except the 3.3 UI makes it appear that things are broken.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    Yeah, it's frustrating when things change, but it wasn't just changes to the FG code that caused this; it was a entire shift to producing licensed products for PF.
    Yes, I fully appreciate that. I realise that the changes were necessary to enable the licensed Pathfinder products and increased automation in the Pathfinder rulesets - all of which I think is great! I'm favour of development in general, and these changes in particular.
    Last edited by Callum; August 14th, 2017 at 19:33.

Thread Information