DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fantasy Grounds players

I'm new to this community and I have noticed that others, including myself seem to struggle to find players for anything other than D&D 5th. Is there a reason why many here seem so slanted towards that one game when FG seem to support a variety?

Well, i guess it is so because 5e is the most developed and supported ruleset here on fg an also because most people have played only de&d and does not like to change..or just learn another ruleset.
    Ultimate license holder, do not worry about partecipating Italian DM (gmt+1). check here to find your timezone difference https://everytimezone.com/

- Players live a thousand lives, a DM let live a thousand universes -

This will give you some idea of the games played by ruleset on FG for last year. And here is the year before. Obviously people will play what they want to play and you can't force them to play a system that they don't want to play. I certainly see a number of people looking for groups and games for systems other than 5e but there is no way to know really whether any of them resulted in anything much. All you can do is plug your games and hope to attract people to try something different.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I have no hard evidence to back it up but, IMHO, it's probably because D&D has been around the longest and 5E is the latest version. You also have a large company pushing it with access t more advertising resources. For those of us who grew up on the 70's its all we knew and when we had kids, we whipped out our old books and used those to teach them. Even my kids, 18 and 13, no matter what system their friends push or they give a try, they always seem to make their way back to AD&D.

Even people who have never played tabletop RPG's, when asked about them, will say stuff like "You mean like Dungeons & Dragons?". It's just the most well known and that is what new players will usually gravitate towards.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

There's plenty of non-5E games being played, its just that 5E is the most popular and, as others have said, is the system being advertised the most.

If people want to role-play then I'd suggest considering other games and systems which are available here on FG (and elsewhere) - people just have to be flexible and willing to try new systems. After all, its not the system but the story that is being told which should be your driving force in getting/running/playing a game - you can play a "fantasy" story with D&D (5 different editions), Runequest, WarhammerFRP, pathfinder, or whatever system you like; similarly for all the other genres.

Just my $0.02 worth

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by Foamhead View Post
    I'm new to this community and I have noticed that others, including myself seem to struggle to find players for anything other than D&D 5th. Is there a reason why many here seem so slanted towards that one game when FG seem to support a variety?
    Out of curiosity, what game are you interested in?

https://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...s#.WY8mX1WGNEY

These percentages are similar, er um, elsewhere though Savage Worlds is much more focused on Fantasy Grounds. Savage Worlds represents the the most played non-D&D based system due in large part to the excellent implementation of the game system combined with the wide range of genres supported.

I've often wondered why Call of Cthulhu isn't more of a thing here. I think it has a sizable player base and seems to be pretty well supported (7e support was timely) but they just aren't well represented on Fantasy Grounds.

Anyhow, the point that I was trying to make was that if the non-D&D based system you are trying to get started isn't SW, the challenge level might go up a bit. If you are GMing a system that might have a player shortage, I would recommend starting the moment you get 2 or 3 players and keep advertising for more; don't set the bar too high initially.

Just a note, it's perfectly okay to mention roll20. We aren't uptight like they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Just a note, it's perfectly okay to mention roll20. We aren't uptight like they are.
    I am not worried about incurring wrath. Foraging trolls, yeah.

I am not a 5e fan but I am tempted to run one for the simple fact there is pre-made product for it.

If WoTC would allow product for versions of the game other than 5e and FG supported more than just 5e/PF I think it'd do nothing but promote the D&D FG community more.

I am speaking more in the scope of other versions of D&D but I suspect the same could be said for non-D&D stuff as well.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information