DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... Last

Using the PFRPG ruleset to Play Starfinder

This is a thread where people can discuss the possibilities of using the standard PFRPG ruleset to play some Starfinder with Fantasy Grounds.

I received my PDFs yesterday and so I haven't had much time to go through it all - so my knowledge is pretty limited.

The main things with Starfinder when compared to Pathfinder are:
    1. Two types of AC - EAC (Energy Armor Class) and KAC (Kinetic Armor Class). There is no longer a Touch or Flat-Footed AC.
    2. There are now Stamina points and Resolve points. Stamina has a similar mechanic to temp HP - i.e. damage is applied to stamina before HP, but there are some differences. Resolve points are described as "...an intrinsic reservoir of grit and luck..."
    3. Some changes in skills. There are some new ones (computers, for example) and some renamed/combined ones - for example: "Culture" covers three knowledge skills - History, Local and Nobility.
    4. NPCs have been simplified a little - their stats are based off CR and do not share the same creation rules with PCs.

So, how can we play Startfinder in Fantasy Grounds until either an official ruleset comes out (rumours are there will be one) or a few nice community devs come up with some extensions to help out?

Here are a few ideas:
    1. Use the "Touch" mechanic in the ruleset to indicate energy attacks - thus the (N)PC must be setup such that their normal AC is their KAC and their touch AC is their EAC. Attacks that target EAC should be setup to be touch attacks.
    2. Use temp HP for stamina points. If temp HP are actually applied you can apply them on top of stamina - they'll need to be manually tracked to know when temp HP are used up.
    3. Track Resolve Points using the Hero Points extension (thanks for the suggestion Talen).
    4. Critical attacks don't need to confirm. So turn off "Attack: Critical Confirm" in the campaign options.
    5. I'm not familiar with all of the possible crit additional effects (e.g. burn) of some weapons. A DMGO effect can be used for burn.
    6. The shorthand damage (S, B or P) and energy types (A, C, E, F and S) should be converted into their Pathfinder names - slashing, bludgeoning and piercing; acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic.
    7. Some effects will work fine, but others might not work fully, especially where EAC/KAC and skills are involved - FG might not recognise the skills or map an ability stat change to the right skill.
    8. Starships and space combat will pretty much have to be handled manually - maybe use story entries/notes to track stats of ships. You should be able to use a map with a hex grid to track the starship movement and placement.
    9. Carrying Capacity (page 167)- as 10 "L" (light) items make 1 bulk, I think it's best to track bulk in the character sheet as 1 bulk = 10 pounds. Therefore, an L item has a weight of one, a bulk 1 item has a weight of 10, etc.. Put STR x 5 in the Medium encumbrance field on the inventory tab, and STR x 10 in the Heavy. Medium = Encumbered threshold, Heavy = Overburdened threshold.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other things I'm not aware of that would need conversion or special treatment.

Here's an example of the Space Goblin from the Free RPG day "First Contact" - available for free download here: https://paizo.com/products/btpy9tmr?...-First-Contact

Note the Normal (KAC) and Touch (EAC) AC entries. The energy weapon attack is set as "touch". The damage types have been set to the Pathfinder equivalent wording. There's no HD. The NPC bonuses have been converted into the minimum stat to give that bonus.

All in all, I think that Starfinder is playable with the PFRPG ruleset - with a few manual overrides needed...

Let us know your thoughts and experiences!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 11th, 2017 at 15:50. Reason: Added carrying capacity
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Extensions and Modules

Extensions!

1) Starfinder Common Data (attached to this post) - adds the Startfinder skills to the character sheet and the drop down skill roll in the party sheet.
    2) Hero Points - use for resolve points. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...PFRPG-CoC-CnC)

Library data modules!

1) Core Races Drag/drop races. Thanks Talen.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 15th, 2017 at 02:59. Reason: Added modules
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Additional Data

Attached are example Player Characters in FG XML format, ready for importing.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 17th, 2017 at 16:14.

Good suggestions trenloe. While i havent tried your parser yet for the monster entities, Ken L's extension works fairly well with a little tweaking.

Also, you can use the hero point extension, rename the field to resolve points, and your resolve points are taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Also, you can use the hero point extension, rename the field to resolve points, and your resolve points are taken care of.
    Good idea. I've updated post #1 with a link to the extension.

what did you guys figure out about vehicle combat?
    FGU Standard License Holder.

Currently Running:

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee420 View Post
    what did you guys figure out about vehicle combat?
    I haven't had a look at the rules for vehicle combat. Assuming it's similar to starship combat then it'll be point #8 in the second list in the first post - do it manually.

it seems to me that it would be doable to do it manually (duh its manual) but it also seems like there is a lot of stuff to keep track of

here is a synopsis
    General Starship Combat
    Starship combat has been described as battletech/spelljammer like as well as “Star Trek inspired with sprinkles of Firefly”. Ship combat is done “tactically” on a 2D hex grid, and direction the ship is facing matters. Overall it is very different from normal pathfinder combat. Starship combat is divided into three “phases”: the engineering phase, the piloting phase, and the gunnery phase. The actions of each ship in a phase happens simultaneously and is resolved among all ships before beginning another phase (i.e. if the player’s ship destroys an enemy ship during the gunnery phase, the destroyed ship can still act during that phase). Starship combat requires a lot of communication between players, you start combat understanding only what class ships you are fighting. Each player can take an action and a minor action each turn. Although ship combat is two dimensional, moving through opponent’s ships is possible. When your ships hp reaches 0 your ship is disabled, when it reaches another marker (I believe -100% of you ships hp) your ship explodes. Every time you do a total amount of damage to a ship’s hull that is a multiple of of its critical threshold, it takes a critical effect. For example a goblin ship with a critical threshold of 4 takes 18 damage to its haul. There are 4 multiples of 4 within the 18 damage done, so the goblin ship takes 4 critical effects.
    Starship Roles
    Every player has an important role in starship combat. Choice of class will not restrict one’s choice of starship role. Each ship role has a single skill that it uses to perform various functions. New actions for a role are unlocked with additional skill ranks in the relevant skill. The roles are as follows: captain, science officer, gunner, engineer, and pilot. Only one player each can be the captain and the pilot, however you can have multiples of other roles.

more in depth can be found here starting page 44
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...zJRJRYUI/edit#

Currently Running:

OK, I'd read up on Statship combat. Hex's can be done, and starship facing/movement can be done on that. Then initiative for the main portion would be based off the pilot skill roll - so manual entry for that in the CT.

I haven't compared the NPC -> Vehicle sheet with the starship sheet, so I don't know how much of that can be used/bodged to work.

But, seeing as most of the stuff in starship combat is skill checks rather than direct attacks then it might need some manual massaging. Unless it's possible to enter PC (and NPC) attacks with the right bonuses and then target the starship AC. I'll have to do more reading... I've only read through the Adventure Path scenario and skipped through character generation in the core rulebook.

and i am still waiting to get my hands on official materials, i just have that link up there that i got from the Dawnforged peoples. i do have official StarJammer though...which doesnt help this situation lol

Currently Running:

Thread Information