5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

window dressing in/on maps

I was just wondering when making maps, if I wanted to add "window dressing" to them, would it work okay to do the fluff as tokens?

I was thinking this would allow me to re-use maps and have them look different each time.

The second reason is that I was thinking of a large dungeon crawl where things might look different with later trips into it. Something like dead bodies, blood splatter damaged furnishing, etc.

Thanks in advance for your assistance/opinions.

Depends what software you are using to generate the map.

If you are using a package that allows layers (PS, GIMP etc), then add your "window dressing" on a separate layer. You can turn it on/off (or add/delete items) before exporting as jpg. Will give you different versions of the same base map fairly easily.
    You are not outnumbered! You are just in a target rich environment!

Blog Entries
    I would echo what dunadan posted about the graphic programs. Depending the ruleset you are using, I also know that there is a Enhanced Images (layers) extension that might be useful if you plan to use tokens.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

You can use tokens but unless you use something like the extension that is mentioned above you will have problems selecting, moving and targeting PCs and NPCs if they are on top of or under such scenery features.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for all of the responses.

Since I only use Paint to copy and paste my maps together, it seems the best thing I could do is use the extension to put the token room furnishings on a different layer.

Blog Entries
    If you are using the basic Paint program you might want to look at Paint.net which does allow for layers and is pretty easy to use.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

keep in mind the more tokens you use the more things that are loaded into memory, FG currently is a 32 bit program and as such it can only use 3.2 gigs of RAM. so just keep in mind the more you use the slower it is and potentially could hit the RAM threshold and crash.
    FGU Standard License Holder.

Currently Running:

I like the Enhanced Images extensive and used it a few times. It gives you 3 levels of the image (I number the 1-3 from bottom to top) . Level 3 is where you drop the characters and monster tokens. Layer one is where you apply the mask. It takes getting used to, to switch between 1 and 3 to move tokens or unmask sections.

Last time I set it up I did what you are describing - dressed out the dungeon on layer 2 with rugs, chairs, beds, etc. But then I discovered that layer 2 doesn't get masked So my advice - put all the dressing and static stuff on layer 1. Layer 2 is good for the blood splatter or skull & crossbones for the creatures after they're killed.

Use a separate layer for the window dressing like others have suggested Paint.net and Gimp are good programs for that. Also note that a lot of map mink programs keeps stuff on separate layers that can be turned on and off. If your Window dressing item is something that can or you expect to get moved around during the game use a token. Example: in a barroom brawl you might have the chairs as tokens since you expect characters will pick them up and use as weapons.

Thread Information