Starfinder Playlist

What ruleset do you recommend for an OSR Sword and Wizardry (Frog God Games) game?

I am thinking of starting a game with Frog God Games' S&W system. It will need to be an online game and I am wondering if I should use FG (I have ultimate) or just go simply to Roll20 (oh the heresy!). If FG, which ruleset (and possibly mods)?

My needs:
    - dice roller (obviously)
    - char sheet to roll attack, damage and ability tests with a d20
    - map sharing

Would like to have:
    - drawing (on a map mostly, but could be a quick sketch of a monster or a place; this is where FG will not (can not) deliver, I am afraid, and this is a strong selling point (but still not a need)
    - char sheet with inventory and spell list (strong suit of FG)

So, which official or community rulesets should I consider if I choose FG as the platform? Which one do you recommend? Are there useful mods out there?

Blog Entries
    I don't know the S&W system, so I don't know what die rolls are needed or what you need from the character sheet.
    But my default is to look at CoreRPG and MoreCore. Core RPG has a bunch of character sheets for different systems you use as a starting point. And MoreCore has more dice rollers available.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows the system and can point you further along. The other possibility is if the S&W is a near clone to another system, someone may have done a ruleset for that game.

As for sketching, with FG you can make a blank/background type image and use the simple sketch tools. But, what I think most people do is to do their sketching or mapping in another program and then save/copy the file into FG (takes a bit longer, but better drawing tools).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The only real difference between S&W and Basic D&D or AD&D is the save system. That's what will be an issue. If you can get past that I'd use one that works with those systems.

I use S&W adventures in my AD&D games all the time. I just ignore their save system and use AD&D's.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thanks, LordEntrails. I definitely want to avoid building and coding, and I am ready to make compromises if something is already available in the shop or in the community that fits the basic needs.

Celestian, I assume you recommend I try your ruleset? I have been keeping an eye on it for some time, and I admit I hoped you would pop in here.
    Any mods you can recommend?

Blog Entries
    Someone is working on an official S&W ruleset, but no ETA has been announced yet.

Nice! I am in no hurry, the game is still in early planning stage. It could be several months before we start. If something official appears in the shop by then, it will be insta-buy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Szabtom View Post
    Thanks, LordEntrails. I definitely want to avoid building and coding, and I am ready to make compromises if something is already available in the shop or in the community that fits the basic needs.

Celestian, I assume you recommend I try your ruleset? I have been keeping an eye on it for some time, and I admit I hoped you would pop in here.
    Any mods you can recommend?
    I think my ruleset works for what I am looking for but others might want something different. Some folks like bare bones systems which there are those that are like that. Mine isn't.

If you're meaning adventure modules? I'd recommend Rappan Athuk certainly. Its a good, old fashioned Mega-Dungeon. Light story arc and lots of cool monsters, tricks/traps/etc.

I've been running Lost City of Barakus myself for over a year now and ... I've decided to just drop it. It's just not that good for my group. I really liked the world around the dungeon and such but... the dungeon itself has turned into a really dull run for my group.

The Tomb of Abysthor looks good (Stoneheart Vally book). I've not run it yet but have read it.

There is a module for FG that is for sale called "Complete Roslof Keep Campaign" that while in 5e also provides the AD&D stat blocks (in text) that you could use with some work. If you want the encounters/parcels you could just make an custom versions of those for your game/ruleset you use. I did it as an experiment for the first dungeon and it took me about 1-2 hours prep and I was done. The rest is all there. Room text/maps/pins... all the hardwork Makes me wonder if I should try it with "Lost Mines of Phandlver" and see how it works out (tho that one is not dual stated for AD&D, just 5e).
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I aim to do hex crawl adventuring, with a fews small dungeons here and there, and theatre of the mind combat (no battlemap, just the CT). I will homebrew something simple for the setting, and create an overland hexmap.
    I will add pins to the hexes that have any points/places/persons of interest and match the FG entry of each pint to a hex key that I will manage on paper.

By "mods" I meant FG mods. Are there any of particular note for an old school wilderness adventuring game (about wilderness survival, weather, traps, random monster, treasure, etc.) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Szabtom View Post
    I aim to do hex crawl adventuring, with a fews small dungeons here and there, and theatre of the mind combat (no battlemap, just the CT). I will homebrew something simple for the setting, and create an overland hexmap.
    I will add pins to the hexes that have any points/places/persons of interest and match the FG entry of each pint to a hex key that I will manage on paper.

By "mods" I meant FG mods. Are there any of particular note for an old school wilderness adventuring game (about wilderness survival, weather, traps, random monster, treasure, etc.) ?
    Unfortunately I don't know much about FG modules. I make all my own. I only have the Roslof one because I got it from his Kickstarter as part of my pledge. Im also not a hex crawler ;( Wish I could help more...
    ---

Thanks for coming in to share some tips and pointers!

Thread Information