STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Just in case you didn't realise - I don't work for SmiteWorks in any capacity.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I gathered that from your responses ;-)

Trenloe mentioned in his linked thread that he would be surprised if the RMC ruleset sold more than 100 copies. In the 5 years I've been working on it, it has definitely sold more than that. But to put things in perspective, working one hour at my regular job is about the equivalent of what I get quarterly for developing the ruleset. This isn't something you do if you are trying to make money. It just isn't feasible. Smiteworks community developer approach gives a small bonus for those helping with official products.

I do it to try to make RMC games run smoother. The ruleset is the best way I've seen to actually play Rolemaster. It doesn't have the character creation tools of something like ERA but actually playing it speeds up most of the tedious things related to running Rolemaster (Yes, there are a few of those still in the ruleset). I would like to to be as smooth as possible for GMs to run their games.

I am not a professional developer. I only really have scripting experience and it was a slow process figuring out this ruleset. I just started out developing an extension that help myself and other doing things a little bit better. Eventually I ended up being the official developer because they didn't have one.

The switch to CoreRPG is essentially a complete rebuild. You can use some of the existing code but most of it needs to be cleaned up and redone. The items in particular have given me headaches because of how they were originally implemented. This complicates things because I have to maintain backwards compatibility.

Hopefully this helps.

For those that have never volunteered in doing an FG ruleset, a thousand words of explanation will not suffice, and for those that have, no words are necessary. We grok the sacrifice given and simply give thanks.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post
    Trenloe mentioned in his linked thread that he would be surprised if the RMC ruleset sold more than 100 copies. In the 5 years I've been working on it, it has definitely sold more than that.
    I'm very pleased to hear that.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post
    I am not a professional developer. I only really have scripting experience and it was a slow process figuring out this ruleset. I just started out developing an extension that help myself and other doing things a little bit better. Eventually I ended up being the official developer because they didn't have one.

The switch to CoreRPG is essentially a complete rebuild. You can use some of the existing code but most of it needs to be cleaned up and redone. The items in particular have given me headaches because of how they were originally implemented. This complicates things because I have to maintain backwards compatibility.
    Dakadin, we are super grateful for any work you do. I'm so glad there is at least one person working on it. Whatever time you can squeeze into your life for it is appreciated. Real Life(tm) comes first!

Your talking too much Dakadin, get back to working. Doing rulesets are easy, 5 minutes is all you need

On a side note I think Dakadin is easing off from doing it at the moment because every time those upstarts doing Core make a change, then 3/10 your going to have to modify the ruleset to accommodate the change (or at the very least pour over the code testing it). I would not be looking at porting RMC until they eased off the Core changes (although that might be never). I rather see them go into quarterly cycles now not adhoc cycles.

I love Moon and the guys for what they do, but there is a little of me that hates them too
    Last edited by Ardem; July 3rd, 2017 at 04:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardem View Post
    Your talking too much Dakadin, get back to working. Doing rulesets are easy, 5 minutes is all you need
    LOL. Good point. I probably could have completed the ruleset in the time it took me to write that post.

Blog Entries
    At some point, before I get too old, I would love to be involved in an RMC game but not something time will allow these days. RM was my goto game back in the 80's and I still have my original paper rules somewhere.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGreybeard View Post
    At some point, before I get too old, I would love to be involved in an RMC game but not something time will allow these days. RM was my goto game back in the 80's and I still have my original paper rules somewhere.
    I hope you find a game and the time to play it. Some of your posts were what convinced me to purchase Fantasy Grounds.

Thread Information