STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Desperately need mentoring

Hi - I'm about to start an FG/RMC campaign, and I thought I understood how FG works, but I am failing badly in my testing before the campaign starts. I'm having serious trouble with simple things like setting up encounters, adding creatures and players to the map, and running a simple combat. The only videos available are so old that they are more or less useless since they do not match the current version.

I thought I knew what I was doing, but I was wrong. I have a campaign that I promised to start in a few days! Is there anyone who knows the RMC ruleset well enough to walk me through setting stuff up and running a basic combat? Who might be willing to spend an hour with me showing me how to do this stuff? I'd be seriously appreciative! I'm pretty confused, the simple things i expected to work, like dragging monster onto a map, are not working.

Please help! Thanks!

I think I might be able to help you with some of this. I've been able to successfully do all of those things for a campaign I'm running soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dglinder View Post
    I'm pretty confused, the simple things i expected to work, like dragging monster onto a map, are not working.
    The golden rule for Fantasy Grounds - drag monsters and PCs to the combat tracker first. Give them tokens, if they don't have them already. Then drag the assigned token from each creature on the combat tracker to the map.

Everything needs to be linked through the combat tracker, so make sure you follow the above process.

Hopefully kevinbalentine will be able to provide a session to go through things in more depth, but thought I'd mention this golden rule.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    One more thing to note. RMC is probably one of the most memory intensive ruleset FG has. Taking the same approach to running a game as you do in other rulesets may be problematic. So, this means not piling on a lot of shared maps, minimizing your tokens, etc....

I will also note that the ruleset has aged a little poorly over the past 3-ish years IMO as it does not have a lot of the advances that other rulesets based off of CORERPG and/or more popular rulesets, which I personally think is a shame.

My experience/opinion anyways... back to lurking.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I will also note that the ruleset has aged a little poorly over the past 3-ish years IMO as it does not have a lot of the advances that other rulesets based off of CORERPG and/or more popular rulesets, which I personally think is a shame.
    Yes, it's a shame it's missing some of the CoreRPG bells-and-whistles, but this should not put people off. It's perfectly playable and will save you hours - literally, with the automation of table lookups, etc.. It makes playing RMC a joy!

I make this statement because I've been seeing more and more posts from people saying a ruleset is "unplayable" because it doesn't have things that people are used to in CoreRPG based rulesets - like resize handles on windows (use CTRL+drag to resize), no encounters, etc., etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

it is certainly playable still and once you get the hang of it its quite easy run and prep for but the memory issues johnD mentioned are are continual problem, just save your campaign regularly and don;t have tomany maps or token modules loaded or the ruleset will crash on you

Kevin did in fact help me out a lot, in fact he joined my new campaign. Thanks Kevin!

Well I have 16GB of memory, but most of that won't be accessible until the 64-bit Unity version comes out. Thanks for the tip. I certainly agree that it is far from "unplayable" - what's there is great and works fine. But yes, it does lack a lot of the bells and whistles of other rulesets. I don't blame Dakadin, he seems to be working very hard, and only has a limited amount of spare time to do it in. If I "blame" anyone it is Smiteworks for not having at least one full-time employee/developer working on it and instead depending on a volunteer. After all, this is something you sell - for money. This is an actual product and not a shared/community thing. Thus players have a reasonable expectation that it will get some official support and improvements from the company. I'm not angry, but I admit I'm disappointed. Why not just Hire Dakadin, or someone to help him?

@dglinder - the response I've given you already remains the same: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post344250

As I mention in that post, hiring someone full time is just no feasible, for RMC or any of the other non-mainstream products. If the RMC ruleset was broken (i.e. errors, the original functionality doesn't work, etc.) then SmiteWorks would take steps to remedy that. But it is not broken. The issue is that it needs some documentation updates and the expectation of new purchasers managing.

Changing the RMC ruleset to be layered on top of CoreRPG (to get a lot of what people now think is the "norm") would take well in excess of 100 hours of work. This ruleset, and most others, will *never* give a return on that.

If SmiteWorks changed it's model to use professional, not community developers, then they'd either go under, or all you'd see is D&D 5E or Pathfinder products. That is the simple truth. If you want to continue seeing non-mainstream products in Fantasy Grounds, then the current model of using community developers who get a small royalty on sales of the FG products they convert is the only way. Unfortunately, what this does mean is that community developers can't devote large amounts of time to the work, or their real-life situation changes and they move on/spend less time doing FG development.

Trenloe, thank you for your response. I understand. Running a small game company is hard and you do need a return on your investment. If I knew Lua I would help out! Dakadin did mention to me that he is working on changing the ruleset over to CoreRPG. I hope he is able to move that along.

Thread Information