5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

What's the difference between "Tokens" and "Pogs"?

Pretty much what the title says. I'm confused. I want more little portraits to use on my character sheets and on maps. What's the difference between "Tokens" and "Pogs"? I don't want to spend money on the wrong kind. What are the best generic add-ons to give me more options? Thanks.

Hi DGLinder,

The style is the difference, square or round another shape.

You can always make your own using the RPGTools Token Tool
    https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/

Buying the packs gives you access to prettier art or licensed creatures.
    Making your own you have to be lucky to find something that looks alike or crop it out of a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Craw@2016
    POGs were small cardboard circles that originally came under bottlecaps for milk and juice. They had logos on them for the various drink companies or other promotions. Kids played a tiddlywinks style of game with them. In the 90s they saw a brief resurgence and were manufactured by the millions with anything and everything on them, including fantasy monsters and other art. I had a baseball card store in a mall when Magic hit the market and anything with that style of art on it started flying off the shelves. We sold tons of pogs. I took home any with decent art on them. (Ownership hath its privileges) They made perfect markers for D&D. Most of the POGs I see as tokens on FG are just referring to pictures cropped into a circle as opposed to tokens with irregular borders.

BTW, POG was for Pineapple Orange Guava. That was the kind of juice bottle they originally came on.

"Token" is the generic term for any image used to represent a character on a map. "Pog" is a style of token - where the graphic is enclosed within a circular base - the name comes from the drink caps used in the "pog" game - more info on that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_caps_(game)

FG comes with some tokens that are in POG/non-pog format. You can see the difference within FG by activating the following two modules: "Animal Pogs" and "Animal Tokens" and looking at the two in the Tokens window.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure there was no functional difference that I was missing.

The functional difference was one made you cool as a kid in the early 90s, and the other did not.

Thread Information