Starfinder Playlist
    Blog Entries

3d Maps.. sorta.

This is an issue that comes up relatively often in games, a building or dungeon or whatever has multiple levels that force you to switch between maps... sometimes some of the players are on one map.. others are on the other... creatures attack from above or below.. whatever. Seems like this is a thing that FG could handle.. if there were a way to link the maps together and make them semitransparent overlays or something. Yeah. I have zero clue on the technical part of the whole thing.. and yeah.. the enhanced images extension sorta does something like this and has some issues as a result.. but doesn't it seem like it would be very useful?

I'm adding something to the idea informer about it...VOTE
    Last edited by Blackfoot; June 18th, 2017 at 02:59.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Blog Entries
    This is very similar to this request: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40909

Feel free to vote for this, as well. The layered features that are in development for FGU should address most of these issues. Linking multiple maps, i.e, image windows, so that tokens can appear on both simultaneously is not a feature that is currently under consideration.

Blog Entries
    That is a completely different map feature request..

I don't think I was talking about a given token being on multiple layers... merely having various tokens on multiple semi-transparent layers... which is not the same thing. The Dragon is on the bottom layer battling the fighters... the archers are on the top layer firing down at it.

I can show 25 different 'layered' maps that could take advantage of this sort of code... a ship with multiple levels... any building.. any sort of structure where one layer overlaps another and allows access in between.
    Last edited by Blackfoot; June 18th, 2017 at 17:25.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Blog Entries
    Fair enough. The scenario you outline will be possible in FGU .

Blog Entries
    Right now, what I do is have the multiple levels of the ship or tavern on one image. That way FG sees it as one map, but then they are clearly in different parts. The other way I've done it is like the flame cultist encounter in PotA, where the image has both a profile and various levels on the map. We just moved the tokens back and forth through the different parts of the image. Not ideal, and required some theater of the mind, but worked well enough.

Also remember (again, not ideal, but works now) is even if tokens are on different maps, you can still target anyone you want through the CT. Just drop the attacks and damage etc on the CT entry.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I've been thinking about this sort of thing too as it relates to fog of war. My example: I'd like to make a giant city map like a mega dungeon with every building accessible but the insides hidden by a layer of roof. will that be possible in FGU?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hound View Post
    I've been thinking about this sort of thing too as it relates to fog of war. My example: I'd like to make a giant city map like a mega dungeon with every building accessible but the insides hidden by a layer of roof. will that be possible in FGU?
    There are no plans for the LOS/FOW to support any automatic roof ripping, but you should be able to add a roof layer above the tokens. None of this is to comment on the amount labor involved in adding individual roof layers to a giant city map.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hound View Post
    Campaign Cartographer 3+ with City Designer does something similar to this. It would end up making individual maps of each and/or each building level. Depending on how you use it.

But, as Carl implies, mapping a city at that level of detail is daunting.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    There are no plans for the LOS/FOW to support any automatic roof ripping, but you should be able to add a roof layer above the tokens. None of this is to comment on the amount labor involved in adding individual roof layers to a giant city map.
    That's enough for me. I wouldn't expect the dev team to put that much work into such a niche idea. having a layer for roofs will be plenty exciting.

Thread Information