DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

FRE1 NPC Conversion Questions

I'm converting approximately 130 NPCs for the adventure FRE1. This thread is for questions related to that process.

My first question is about how to add magic items to an NPC. I note that some NPCs in The Sunless Citadel have a description in their NPC stat cards titled "Special Equipment." After the subheading, the entry describes the item. In the example I've chosen, the effect is from a magic longsword. The entry names the item and states that the effect for that item is already calculated in the NPC's longsword attack.

What is the best practice for enumerating multiple pieces of special equipment? For example, one NPC has a luck blade, a suit of +1 plate armor, and boots of elvenkind.
    Last edited by L. R. Ballard; June 10th, 2017 at 00:00. Reason: Deleted "states both"; added "names . . . and states . . ."

Blog Entries
    About all you can do is to include the items in the statistics of the stat blocks. I also name them, so the weapon attack goes from "longsword" to "+1 longsword" and the armor goes from something like "AC 16 (Chainmail)" to "AC 17 (+1 Chainmail)".

Then in the story item in which you link encounter (where the NPC's are kept), you put a story entry like this with a link to a parcel:
    Treasure
    Elgo carries a +1 longsword and wears +1 chainmail.
    * Elgo's Equipment (parcel)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    About all you can do is to include the items in the statistics of the stat blocks. I also name them, so the weapon attack goes from "longsword" to "+1 longsword" and the armor goes from something like "AC 16 (Chainmail)" to "AC 17 (+1 Chainmail)".

Then in the story item in which you link encounter (where the NPC's are kept), you put a story entry like this with a link to a parcel:
    That sounds good--that was my plan. Would you do a separate line for the boots of elvenkind to emphasize their advantage on Dexterity (stealth) checks? I think that may be a good idea rather than listing all the special equipment under one subhead.

In other words, I have written the following:

Special Equipment. The NPC has a suit of plate armor that grants a +1 bonus to armor class (included in her armor class). The NPC wields a longsword, +1 luck blade (included in her longsword attack). The luck blade has two wishes remaining.
    Then, instead of continuing the statement by describing the boots of elvenkind, I propose to give the boots their own line to draw attention to their granting an enhancement unrelated to attack, damage, or armor class.

What do you think?

I debate about naming since alert PCs will possibly see the attacks from the NPC showing +1 Longsword and then they pick up a longsword after the battle and they know what it is.

As LordEntrails says include the items as I did in the example you gave from the Sunless Citadel. Add in any pluses to attack and damage and don't forget to include 'magic' in the damage string. For things like Boots of Elenkind you can't set up wording to automate effects so all you can do is say what the NPC has in the abilities tab.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by L. R. Ballard View Post

What do you think?
    Perfect
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I debate about naming since alert PCs will possibly see the attacks from the NPC showing +1 Longsword and then they pick up a longsword after the battle and they know what it is.
    Good catch--I hadn't thought of that. I prefer to create the parcels so that the items are not yet identified. But that won't work if the NPC attack reads "Luck Blade," and the players can see the name.

As LordEntrails says include the items as I did in the example you gave from the Sunless Citadel. Add in any pluses to attack and damage and don't forget to include 'magic' in the damage string. For things like Boots of Elenkind you can't set up wording to automate effects so all you can do is say what the NPC has in the abilities tab.
    "Magic" in the damage string. I've been putting off coding effects. I'll return to converting low-level NPCs, then do high-level NPCs with magic items, to transition into an extended study of effects. As always, thanks.

For things like Boots of Elvenkind you can't set up wording to automate effects so all you can do is say what the NPC has in the abilities tab.
    An NPC has an abilities tab. Am I missing something?

I mean the bit above actions not abilities.

For the damage, if the NPC has a magic weapon you should add magic to the damage string so that it bypasses any resistances. So you would write Hit: 3(1d6) piercing, magic damage (for example)

Blog Entries
    I too missed the part about naming the attack. I will have to go back and check some of mine to see if I can correct hose, good catch.

I'm tempted to put all the "special equipment" in one trait/ability. But I also don't think it would be a problem if you put it in more than one. It is important, as you did, to note that the bonuses etc are already included in the attacks.

I think Zacc meant the traits section and not the abilities tab. Don't have FG up at the moment so can't check.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I mean the bit above actions not abilities.

For the damage, if the NPC has a magic weapon you should add magic to the damage string so that it bypasses any resistances. So you would write Hit: 3(1d6) piercing, magic damage (for example)
    Got it. That's a simple addition to the text. Thanks.

Thread Information