DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 18 of 20 First ... 81617181920 Last

Thread: NPC Engineer

Hey folks!

3 and a half months ago, I hadn't written a line of code in 23 years or so, and never on a 'proper' computer. I didn't even have a clue what language to use. So it is with great pride that I present to you a feature-complete version of NPC Engineer. I finished the Load function tonight.

Initially, I aimed for an AutoHotKey script to support cut-and-paste from a pdf to a text file intended for parsing.

That grew to having a full GUI to enable the creation of an NPC from scratch, or for editing of the captured pdf in the clipboard. I added project management, file structure creation, automatic image and icon copy to the correct location. Basically, as most programming ventures do, this project grew arms and legs.

I have to thank everyone who encouraged me here or on Discord, who tested code, who spotted bugs, or who good-naturedly dealt with my multiple requests for help.

• Although complete, Phase 1 still needs a DLL of icons and a GUI tidy up. I also have 4 minor bugs to squash.
    • Phase 2 will be coming - in phase 2 I'll be taking on the NPC file and parsing it into a standalone bestiary module for Fantasy Grounds.
    • Phase 3 (which might predate phase 2, who knows) will add something I have always wanted for my program - a graphical statblock so that the output looks like the Monsters Manual.

The moral to all this? Don't let a lack of knowledge stand in the way of enthusiasm and a decent idea. "I can't do that....YET" is a powerful statement.

Maasq, feeling euphoric until the first bug reports arrive
    Last edited by Maasq; October 23rd, 2017 at 22:01. Reason: Old file download removed!
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

I dont know about bug reports however Kudos to the effort! I know the feeling when something finally works the way you wanted it to
    My Project : FG5EParser LINK

Current Projects : Revamped FG5eParser v2!

Blog Entries
    Nice and congrats!

Now I just need to get myself a project to need this

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Another update!

Could someone with Admin drop the '(WAS:.....)' part from the title of this thread now? I think 'NPC Engineer' will suffice Thank you in advance!

Latest version: 0.7.1
    Release date: 24 September 2017
    Most recent change: New dll with icons added, reconfigured menu.

I have added a dll file with icons in it with this release; hopefully this will sort out the issues some reported with using Windows icons. The icons aren't perfect yet - I think I will be updating them when I find out why they are showing up so small.

I updated the menu options and changed the GUI a little with this release - just some tidying up. The window is a little smaller now, which might make it fit better on a netbook type screen.

I have also updated the User Manual - please send me feedback on this. I'd love to know if it is clear enough to work from.

Finally, I added an NPC save file, icon and image should anyone wish to load it and look at it. The images may not load properly; if not, just add them again.

Maasq
    Last edited by Maasq; October 23rd, 2017 at 22:01.
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Discord channel.

Another update!

Latest version: 0.8.1
    Release date: 8 October 2017
    Most recent change: Lair Actions; bug fixes; preparation for parsing; editing of npcs.json file.

Hi folks

Quite a big update today. I have been struggling with how to implement parsing, and I decided I didn't like the way that Par5e did it. So while NPC Engineer will still output the files needed for Par5e and FG5EParser, I have gone another way. This took quite a chunk of programming and refactoring (AGAIN!), but I am now ready to start trying to implement parsing functions.

NPC Engineer will store all its data as a JSON file - npcs.json in this case, with a further json for each data type I get round to implementing. JSON files are nice - they can be read easily in a text editor, and minor changes made if need be. The indentation helps reading. More importantly from my point of view is that I can have all my data saved as a single sortable object, allowing me to (hopefully) write neat code to parse it.

As part of this rewrite, I decided that it would be useful to edit or delete NPCs out of this master file, and so I have allowed for that in a menu item (options/manage npcs.json). I think this is a powerful solution as it means most editing will be done within NPC Engineer, and so less parse errors should crop up. Note that this functionality is ONLY available for the JSON object - in other words, only for projects set up to use NPC Engineer's parsing.

I decided to go ahead and implement Lair Actions too. I'm writing the parser so there is no reason for them not to appear where they are meant to

I'd appreciate feedback on saving and loading characters, and also on adding them to the json file (and editing/deleting). All seems to work beautifully here, and I am really pleased with it.

Cheers

Maasq
    Last edited by Maasq; October 23rd, 2017 at 22:02. Reason: Old file download removed!
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Latest version released. It parses now

New thread here, seeing as it has grown so much. I hope you all enjoy it!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Anyone had any luck getting this to run through Wine? It seems like it tries to start the program but then it quits and I don't see anything come up.

Quote Originally Posted by dmbrown View Post
    Anyone had any luck getting this to run through Wine? It seems like it tries to start the program but then it quits and I don't see anything come up.
    I have no idea how Wine works. I've never used an Apple machine in anger. However, the programming language I use is very much a Windows language, and many of its calls are directly to Windows functions. My GUI even specifies fonts that are installed with Windows. TBH I'd be surprised if it worked outside of a Windows environment.

I know I know... if I'd learned to program in a grown-up language I'd be able to port to other systems, but that's not the route I decided to take. I found it a steep enough learning curve as it was!

I was looking at Unity, and wondering if I could face porting it over to a new language. I _may_ do it, but that is likely to be a long (LONG!) term project. Sorry!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Thanks for the reply. I saw the screens shots and it looks pretty cool, but I won't be able to use it with my current setup.

Hat tip to you, for making such an amazing application!!

Thread Information