5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    I do, too. I also don't update just before I play. Finally, I talk to my players, arranging when we all update. These are all good procedures that I recommend.

For anyone like me that uses a password generator, the page Fantasy Grounds links to Steam is via steamCOMMUNITY.com, not your regular login of steamPOWERED.com. You need to get the password for steamPOWERED.com and enter it into the field on the page Fantasy Grounds links to.

Ugh.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SheckyS View Post
    I get what you are saying. And maybe you are right, but that's really not a viable suggestion for FG. I have 5 other players connecting to me when I play. So any one of them may have updated their FG at any time in between games. So it's pretty important that I have the latest update otherwise, my FG might be out of synch with my players.

Here's a better idea:
    Don't push updates to your users that will cause problems and confusion without first informing your users very clearly about exactly how to solve the problems that you KNOW they are going to have. I spent an hour in a panic uninstalling, reinstalling, and banging my head on my desk trying to figure out what was broken on my machine before I realized that nothing was broken on my machine and that it was FG that was, in fact, broken.

If you were deliberately trying to drive your customers insane, you would have a hard time coming up with a better way than to put out updates like this one. In this age of networked software, this is amateur crap.
    I think others have answered most of this for me. All I will add is that SW makes every release available to every user prior to live release through the beta channel. So anyone who wishes to can test (and provide feedback) to SW prior to a release going live.

One of the things that we (all of the users) have to understand is that every software company has to make a choice; they have to balance enhancement versus the risk of issues. The faster you innovate and enhance, the higher the risk of issues (bugs) appearing. But the only way to completely eliminate the risk of issues happening is to completely stop innovating or enhancing your software.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchstickman View Post
    For anyone like me that uses a password generator, the page Fantasy Grounds links to Steam is via steamCOMMUNITY.com, not your regular login of steamPOWERED.com. You need to get the password for steamPOWERED.com and enter it into the field on the page Fantasy Grounds links to.

Ugh.
    If you use LastPass, you can link the two sites within LastPass so they update at the same time.

FG should update automatically instead of manually, but I guess there's a good reason it doesn't.

This and several other threads have ample evidence why automatic updates are a very bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SheckyS View Post
    I get what you are saying. And maybe you are right, but that's really not a viable suggestion for FG. I have 5 other players connecting to me when I play. So any one of them may have updated their FG at any time in between games. So it's pretty important that I have the latest update otherwise, my FG might be out of synch with my players.

Here's a better idea:
    Don't push updates to your users that will cause problems and confusion without first informing your users very clearly about exactly how to solve the problems that you KNOW they are going to have. I spent an hour in a panic uninstalling, reinstalling, and banging my head on my desk trying to figure out what was broken on my machine before I realized that nothing was broken on my machine and that it was FG that was, in fact, broken.

If you were deliberately trying to drive your customers insane, you would have a hard time coming up with a better way than to put out updates like this one. In this age of networked software, this is amateur crap.
    I know you're upset right now, but you really aren't making a lot of sense logically. They have to push their updates SOMETIME. No matter when they do it, it's going to be right before someone's game, since FG has a true global community with games running pretty much all the time somewhere. It's not really an option for the devs to try and please everyone, every time.

In the end, we all have to take some responsibility for the software we use and think ahead about when to apply updates. That includes dealing with the updates that come out in a logical fashion (like looking up patch notes before you apply them, or at least looking after you apply them to see if they might be the issue before you spend an hour troubleshooting dead ends) and making sure the users that are connecting to you are all on the same page when it comes to applying updates. Windows updates often do the same kinds of issue that you're talking about here, as do things like Adobe and even Apple products. It's not the FG team living in a vacuum as you suggest, it's just the way that updates work sometimes.
    Last edited by Illrigger; June 3rd, 2017 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Illrigger View Post
    I know you're upset right now, but you really aren't making a lot of sense logically. They have to push their updates SOMETIME. No matter when they do it, it's going to be right before someone's game, since FG has a true global community with games running pretty much all the time somewhere. It's not really an option for the devs to try and please everyone, every time.

In the end, we all have to take some responsibility for the software we use and think ahead about when to apply updates. That includes dealing with the updates that come out in a logical fashion (like looking up patch notes before you apply them, or at least looking after you apply them to see if they might be the issue before you spend an hour troubleshooting dead ends) and making sure the users that are connecting to you are all on the same page when it comes to applying updates. Windows updates often do the same kinds of issue that you're talking about here, as do things like Adobe and even Apple products. It's not the FG team living in a vacuum as you suggest, it's just the way that updates work sometimes.
    ^ This. ^

It is truly not a big deal to even bring up FG on a semi daily basis, especially around the time that you run your games, and deal with any updates. I have never had an update take an hour, so I am not sure what it is that you are even doing there — even a fresh re-install on a brand new computer took considerably less time than that.
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

<< double post >>
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

Thread Information