5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    This sucks. I can't believe you guys did this to me AGAIN. I logged on an hour ahead of schedule to play my game with 5 other people and instead of playing, I spent the last hour uninstalling and re-installing and trying everything I can think of to get my modules back. Then I finally come to the forums and see this post and I tried this and it still doesn't work. I can't get it to update my D&D 5e files no matter what I do.

Why do you do this? What kind of business model is this? Are you deliberately trying to drive your customers to Roll20?

What am I supposed to do now? I guess I have to cancel my game for tonight. Thanks a lot, FantasyGrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    NOTE: If you have made purchases on Steam, the way to link your Steam content has changed. Please go to the FG Settings, click the Manage Steam Account link, and then sign in to FG and Steam to link your Steam products to your FG account. Also, you will need to enter your FG user name and password into the FG Settings using the user name Update button to get your content once it is linked.

Regards,
    JPG

Okay... finally figured it out. For anyone else out there having trouble, you have to do BOTH things.

1) Click the Manage Steam Account link, and then sign in to FG and Steam to link your Steam products to your FG account.
    2) Enter your FG user name and password into the FG Settings using the user name Update button to get your content once it is linked.

That's what Moonwizard said, but it wasn't obvious if you just skimmed the text.
    Also, After the initial update, it said there are still more updates available, but those just keep timing out on me, so I gave up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SheckyS View Post
    This sucks. I can't believe you guys did this to me AGAIN. I logged on an hour ahead of schedule to play my game with 5 other people and instead of playing, I spent the last hour uninstalling and re-installing and trying everything I can think of to get my modules back. Then I finally come to the forums and see this post and I tried this and it still doesn't work. I can't get it to update my D&D 5e files no matter what I do.

Why do you do this? What kind of business model is this? Are you deliberately trying to drive your customers to Roll20?
    A suggestion, and this goes for any software, not just FG, but don't ever update software right before you need to use it. Update it after your done with your session, or when you are doing some prep or otherwise are not about to "go live".

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If I see an update that close to my game time, I go ahead and play with what I have installed and update *after* the game. I usually check for updates the day before a game, however.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    A suggestion, and this goes for any software, not just FG, but don't ever update software right before you need to use it. Update it after your done with your session, or when you are doing some prep or otherwise are not about to "go live".
    I get what you are saying. And maybe you are right, but that's really not a viable suggestion for FG. I have 5 other players connecting to me when I play. So any one of them may have updated their FG at any time in between games. So it's pretty important that I have the latest update otherwise, my FG might be out of synch with my players.

Here's a better idea:
    Don't push updates to your users that will cause problems and confusion without first informing your users very clearly about exactly how to solve the problems that you KNOW they are going to have. I spent an hour in a panic uninstalling, reinstalling, and banging my head on my desk trying to figure out what was broken on my machine before I realized that nothing was broken on my machine and that it was FG that was, in fact, broken.

If you were deliberately trying to drive your customers insane, you would have a hard time coming up with a better way than to put out updates like this one. In this age of networked software, this is amateur crap.

Unless the update was a completely new version (in other words if the update went from 3.3.x to 3.4.x) then players can log in and play even if they have a different version to the DM or vise versa. That is if the DM has version 3.3.0 and the players have 3.3.1 then they can connect.

I suppose it depends on how often you browse the forums but usually all major updates, along with patch notes, are featured in forum posts from the developers. In this case Moon Wizard provided a clear instruction along with his post. If of course you don't browse the forums then you won't see the instruction and so the information would not get through anyway.

Having said all that I can appreciate your frustration.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Unless the update was a completely new version (in other words if the update went from 3.3.x to 3.4.x) then players can log in and play even if they have a different version to the DM or vise versa. That is if the DM has version 3.3.0 and the players have 3.3.1 then they can connect.

I suppose it depends on how often you browse the forums but usually all major updates, along with patch notes, are featured in forum posts from the developers. In this case Moon Wizard provided a clear instruction along with his post. If of course you don't browse the forums then you won't see the instruction and so the information would not get through anyway.

Having said all that I can appreciate your frustration.
    No one checks the forums or reads the patch notes every time there's an update.
    It would have been appropriate in this case to show a large warning screen after the update telling people what problems they might expect to have and how to solve them. Rather than simply letting people update, log in, and find all of their purchased content is just gone with no explanation.

No one checks the forums or reads the patch notes every time there's an update.
    I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    I do.
    As do I - when I'm not Ninja'd by Andraaz
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack