5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Spellchecking

Blog Entries
    Like everyone else has said, the "best" process is to spellcheck from text prior to insertion into FG or XML. That said, given that this is RPGs and fantasy and sci-fi has all kinds of words that will trigger the spellcheck, I find myself manually copy-editing as I'm inserting even after I've run the spellcheck, but that's a hard habit to break for English majors.

If you're copying directly from a PDF, I'm going to say generally that is a Bad Idea™ as I've noticed a lot of RPG PDFs don't get the same level of typography that a literary tome would and many "fake it" with a custom font that masks their typographical laziness and/or mistakes. Once you copy that, though, now you're exposing the mistakes. Since 99% of anyone working with Fantasy Grounds so far is untrained in catching those mistakes, they get reproduced here, which is unfortunate.

Many times, copy and paste from PDFs has problems with ligatures (two characters that are typographically produced as one character). They sometimes paste as "?" in FG, or are sometimes just left out. Here is a list of the ones I've commonly seen in PDFs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typogr...stic_ligatures

Honestly, its a good practice for any content you plan on selling to have a text-file copy (made first and spellchecked) of any text. Then backup the text file on a flash drive or syncing software so as not to lose the raw data of the product.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    I've experienced that ligatures problem, but never knew why. Thanks for the education

Word 2016 is out, it warns you when you open an XML file it is going to remove all the tags and they will be lost when saved. Plus it doesn't open it "cleanly" anyway.

NPP with the current spell checker seems to be working well though. Will give more feedback when I get more testing done.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information