STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Any news on an update?

Any news on the BRP update? The old version is more of a hassle to use than was expected when I bought it. Granted, I did not read the information in this forum when I bought some two years ago but I am hoping it is updated soon.
    DM/GM Since 1985. Unity and Classic Ultimate License.

BRP is going to be difficult to upgrade even if SmiteWorks does decide it's worth the bother (once D&D or Pathfinder licensing latches onto a company, the profit potential tends to push niche projects to the side if not off the table entirely). This is because there are several different clones of the BRP system (which I usually refer to as D100) that each have their own feature set. We're talking about a very large number of games; off the top of my head I can name Legend, Mythras, Reaissance, Revolution, OpenQuest, and M-Space' there are probably many mroe that I can name if I do a little more digging. Each has its own publisher and quirks (this is because when the British company Mongoose released their licensed verions of RuneQuest it was at the height of the OGL revolution, and thus there is now an open-content verstion of BRP's core mechanic). BRP is also in flux at Chaosium, with large (albeit largely cosmetic) changes in the current version of Call of Cthulhu, an upcoming new edition of Runequest from Choasium (which will be at least the seventh edition) and a redifinition of what the Basic Roleplaying publication is going to look like.

So even if their is sufficient interest to make an official update profitable, how do you byild a ruleset with a wide enough net?
    FGU Ultimate -- All Players Welcome
    "Without Love, I'd have no anger. I wouldn't believe in righteousness." -- Bernie Taupin

I would assume it is the Big Gold Book, since the current BRP ruleset uses that book. I do believe it is entirely possible and within the realm of feasibility to update the ruleset to where it is usable. I do, however, understand that it is not a priority at the present time.

Someone (most likely a community member) was working on something BRP related last year. There hasn't been any word in 6 or 7 months about it so it probably isn't going to happen, at least not anytime soon.
    Unfortunately FG's biggest flaw is that creating new rulesets or overhauling old ones is extremely time consuming.

Fans of BRP / d100 systems will fight an uphill battle. They aren't cash cows which means less official support... this makes it harder to tempt new players away from the "big two", which again means less potential income. It's a vicious cycle.
    GM with an Ultimate Licence
    Currently running: Taking a break

Call of cthulu 7e uses pretty much 97% the same ruleset and that's been upgraded. Chaosium has just released an updated runequest ruleset true to the 2nd edition. I'm more than just a little disappointed that BRP hasn't been officially touched tbh, Smiteworks has officially received my money for it after all, so it should be in with the maintenance of the other rulesets provided.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Call of Cthulu 7e uses pretty much 97% the same ruleset and that's been upgraded.
    I never actually asked the two fellows who did CoC7E but I think they did it of their own volition because they wanted to, not because they were assigned to it. That's usually a big factor right there.

I'm more than just a little disappointed that BRP hasn't been officially touched tbh, Smiteworks has officially received my money for it after all, so it should be in with the maintenance of the other rulesets provided.
    You said the key word there, "maintenance." Far as I know, BRP does not have a Ruleset Developer attached to the project so the only time SmiteWorks themselves will step in and fix anything is when an update to the Fantasy Grounds client breaks something in the ruleset. Otherwise it's effectively in "maintenance mode" unless or until a Community Developer steps up to the plate to be its Ruleset Developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    I never actually asked the two fellows who did CoC7E but I think they did it of their own volition because they wanted to, not because they were assigned to it. That's usually a big factor right there.

You said the key word there, "maintenance." Far as I know, BRP does not have a Ruleset Developer attached to the project so the only time SmiteWorks themselves will step in and fix anything is when an update to the Fantasy Grounds client breaks something in the ruleset. Otherwise it's effectively in "maintenance mode" unless or until a Community Developer steps up to the plate to be its Ruleset Developer.
    That's my problem right there, why sell it in the store if there is not intention of keeping it up to date? Why not have it plonked off to the side like the legend of the five rings ruleset which is free?

I bought the ruleset a couple of years ago with the intention of running runequest on it. I then found that compared to the other rulesets which are actively maintained, it's flakey and substandard in comparison of basic features offered such as simply resizing windows.

I've since stopped using it completely as i'm waiting for someone to release an updated version. I love using fantasy grounds for my 5e game but it just plain annoys me to not have the same functionality with BRP.

I even bought the COC7e ruleset with the intention of extending it to runequest as it's almost there but it's encrypted so I can't even do that which is making me completely regret making the purchase.

Blog Entries
    That's my problem right there, why sell it in the store if there is not intention of keeping it up to date?
    Like almost everything else that involves people, things change, lives changes, plans change, people move on. I doubt whomever made the ruleset came in with the intention of building it then leaving. But that happens. I was assigned to remaster a few old 2009-era DLC because those developers are no longer around to do it themselves. In turn, am I going to be around in 10 years to keep my DLC updated? I'd like to think yes but experience has taught me better than to absolutely say yes. Stuff happens. 99% of the DLC here is produced by we community developers because SmiteWorks is only 5 guys (no fries!) who primarily work on the client itself and the business aspect of things.

But having 5E-level functionality isn't going to happen unless BRP gets a dedicated ruleset developer who actually wants to go that far with it. Look at Pathfinder -- that's the newest license and is selling like hotcakes but the ruleset did not get 5E-level functionality. It got a little bit of extra functionality, because most of the foundation for it was already there, but they've already stated they have no intention of a complete ruleset rewrite to make it do everything the 5E ruleset does.

I totally understand the frustration, though. Just trying to pass along a little "behind the scenes" with how things actually work so that perhaps you can be understanding of why the BRP ruleset (and others) are in the state it's in.

It really doesn't need 5e functionality. It does however need some of the same basic functionality that other rulesets have, like the ability for the GM to add a portrait. There's a host of problems with the ruleset that make it almost unusable and had I known beforehand I would have never purchased it. Granted, I could have read these forums about how poor a ruleset it was but that just wasn't something I'd considered before buying it. Smiteworks really should update it, or take it out of the store for sale as well as provide store credit for those who purchased it. It's fine if they don't, I will keep using Fantasy Grounds as it is the best option out there, it just means that I will be far more attentive in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by yeknom View Post
    It really doesn't need 5e functionality. It does however need some of the same basic functionality that other rulesets have, like the ability for the GM to add a portrait. There's a host of problems with the ruleset that make it almost unusable and had I known beforehand I would have never purchased it. Granted, I could have read these forums about how poor a ruleset it was but that just wasn't something I'd considered before buying it. Smiteworks really should update it, or take it out of the store for sale as well as provide store credit for those who purchased it. It's fine if they don't, I will keep using Fantasy Grounds as it is the best option out there, it just means that I will be far more attentive in the future.
    What he said really

Thread Information