DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Magic Items with Charges

Is there any way (or is there any plans to include) for FG to keep track of charges used for a magic item? And to automatically roll for new charges at the appropriate time (usually dawn)?

Example 1: Ring of Three Wishes: Have FG to automatically change the ring to a non-magical ring after the third charge is used (and change the value, too).
    Example 2: Wand of Paralysis: Have FG automatically roll to see if the wand is destroyed (and deleted from the equipment list) after using the last charge (roll occurs at dawn) and if not destroyed, automatically roll 1d6+1 for new charges if less than max up to max.

You could use the preparation mode to track the charges. not perfect admittedly.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

So far the best way I have found to handle item charges is to switch the item to a ranged weapon, if it is a weapon, for the purpose of tracking charges, you can tick off ammunition in the place of the charges. You might have to add an instance of the item in your action tab.

In lost mines of phandelver, the Staff of Defense has 10 charges, and recharges 1d6+4 each day.
    At the top of my wizards action tab, I changed the staff from a melee icon to ranged icon, with ammo of 10.
    As I cast spells off the staff I click off the ammo counter. Its not perfect by any means, but is a simple work around.

With a magic ring, I would just make a generic ranged weapon slot on the action tab and assign it ammo for each charge.

Quote Originally Posted by legitomega View Post
    So far the best way I have found to handle item charges is to switch the item to a ranged weapon, if it is a weapon, for the purpose of tracking charges, you can tick off ammunition in the place of the charges. You might have to add an instance of the item in your action tab.

In lost mines of phandelver, the Staff of Defense has 10 charges, and recharges 1d6+4 each day.
    At the top of my wizards action tab, I changed the staff from a melee icon to ranged icon, with ammo of 10.
    As I cast spells off the staff I click off the ammo counter. Its not perfect by any means, but is a simple work around.

With a magic ring, I would just make a generic ranged weapon slot on the action tab and assign it ammo for each charge.
    That's definitely a good work-around.

Similar to that and what I think Zacchaeus was saying, I have a Magical Items tab on the action sheet. Add the wand or charged item and then go into Preparation mode and set the uses to 10 (or number of charges) per day and then when in Combat mode again 10 slots appear to cross off as the item is used. A Wand of Magic Missiles would then get its effect added (DMG:1d4 force). The effect would be clicked 3 times (MM does 1d4+1 force damage on 3 targets) but the slot used would be clicked once, except if the user wanted to use more charges.

The method that I use it... set the mode to "Preparation" then "add power", then set the use to "Once". To the left of that set the charges the item has.

Now when you're in any other mode it'll have tic boxes you can click off when you use a charge.

Here is in mode "Combat" view.

Since many wands and staffs themselves cast spells, I added one group called Magic Items to track charges and another Power group (created as an Ability group) where I dragged the actual spells. Track the charges in the Item, cast the spell in the Power group.
    Capture.PNG

Since many wands and staffs themselves cast spells, I added one group called Magic Items to track charges and another Power group (created as an Ability group) where I dragged the actual spells. Track the charges in the Item, cast the spell in the Power group.
    Capture.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by Spetzel View Post
    Capture.PNG
    This is what I did also, but I really like how Celestian did his. I'm going to have to try that.

You don't need to set up two different groups. Just drag the appropriate spells into the same group as the magic item and set the number of uses in the data for the group.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information