5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Needs a few testers to try new alpha version of updater

I've been working on a brand new updater that works with some other site changes to allow Steam products to be registered directly on our site, which means it should work for Linux/Mac users as well.

I'm looking for a few people that have Steam purchases (and some that have Steam on Mac) to give the new updater a try in order to test some configurations in the wild. This should not have any impact on your data, as it just handles file updates for DLC. Just to be safe, I always recommend making a copy of your data (in this case, FG data directory) before working with alpha/beta versions of any software.

If you can help us with the testing, just switch your mode to Dev in the FG Settings and Update. This will load a new settings/updater app. In the Settings, instead of a Check Steam for Updates button, there is a "Link Account to Steam" button instead. Just click on there to link your Steam account, and then perform an Update normally. You will only ever need to link your Steam account once on our site, and the update system will automatically update to get any new Steam purchases each time you run the updater.

Please post here if you are able to give it a try, and let me know if it went through without issues or if you encountered any errors.

Thanks in advance,
    JPG

Also, my guess is that if you use AVG, you will have to make an exception. As soon as I get feedback, make any changes and we're ready to move to beta, I'll submit to their whitelisting service.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Worked for me running Win10. Even made a test purchase through Steam and the updater pulled it no problem without having to have Steam running (I originally purchased both a regular and ultimate license through Steam)

During the initial update to the Dev the PF Core rules took a long time to complete, it seemed to hang about 3/4 of the way through for about 10-15 seconds before completing the file update. After linking my Steam purchases, it was DGA075 that hung (but it wasn't actually updated - 13 Apr 17 @ 11:13pm is the date/time stamp)

Will our Steam purchases be reflected in the FG store?
    Ultimate License Holder

I believe that some of the updates that Doug has been making to fix the PF Core Rules are also in the Dev channel, which is why they took a bit.

I believe that the places where the updater is unable to update the progress bar are more noticeable in this version (i.e. saving large files), because the progress bar actually updates more frequently than the older updater. However, it is one thing that I want to keep an eye on (performance). The updater is using a new networking library that should be more resilient to network issues, but it does seem to be just a tad slower.

The Steam purchases will not be reflected in the FG store (as far as I know), though Doug is looking at using the new information to help with shuttling Paizo purchases to the Paizo store in the near term. He might look at adding a third party orders view at some point.

The Steam purchases will automatically update as long as you are using the new updater, or if you go back to the Steam account link page and choose to re-sync (even when using the old updater).

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Other than the two spots I mentioned previously the whole update process seemed to go faster. I have never timed it so can only give my subjective opinion about it.
    Ultimate License Holder

Blog Entries
    So much nicer not having to have Steam running to update.
    Ultimate License Holder

Just pushed a minor update to fix a couple permissions issues. Let me know if you run into any issues after updating Dev again, and try to change between modes. (i.e. Live/Test/Dev)

Thanks,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Going from Live to Dev had this message HandleFile: An exception occurred during a WebClient request crop up four times.
    Ultimate License Holder

Going to give this a try! I have both Steam and Store purchases on a Windows PC. Backing up now.
    Ultimate license
    Current Timezone : EDT (GMT -4)
    Running: Various Adventurers League modules
    Playing: Curse of Strahd (Friday nights- OTG), Storm Kings Thunder (Thursday Nights- OTG)
    STEAM: (OTG) Teufelhunde87
    AL DCI: 4115443776

Just updated the Dev build to use a version that should have slightly better error messages when those errors occur.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information