DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Current HP/HP Remaining Extension?

Re-posting in the 5E Sub-Forum since it's more relevant here and more active than The Tavern (sorry Mods).

Does there exist an extension that adds a "Current HP" or "HP Remaining" to the character sheet and/or combat tracker for 5E?
    I know something like this would very much be possible (look at the Vitality Extension for example), but I can't find anything that does this. I'd try making it myself but I know very little about xml.

I thought I saw something about an extension like this existing, but now i can't find anything about it.
    Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction, or possibly even make said extension (if one would be so kind)?

Thanks.

EDIT: After several hours of XML research and trial and error, I have emerged with a homemade Current HP extension! This is my first extension, so it may possibly be sloppy, but it works well and I'm very proud of it (as simple as it may be). I've attached the .ext file in this post. Please let me know if it works for you, and give me some feedback: what I did right, what I did wrong, how I can improve it, etc.

This extension adds a 'Current HP' box to the character sheet that shows your character's max HP minus their wounds. The number is green until your hp gets below half, at which point it turns red. Simple!

Known Incompatibilities: Anything that modifies the HP boxes at the bottom of the Main tab on the character sheet. Should be compatible with mostly everything else, though.

Thanks, everyone!
    Last edited by xxXEliteXxx; May 8th, 2017 at 03:22.

This is something that has crossed my mind in several times.

whiteTiki: Adventurers League Player
    Experience: 10 years; DM and Player
    Games: D&D, Pathfinder, World of Darkness

Blog Entries
    It would be a great first extension for you to write xxXEliteXxx
    Start with just the Character sheet as there is more room there.
    Once you get that working then you could look at the CT. The CT is going to be wider again than it already is when you add this...

Possibly the Hero Points for 5e extension might be a good one to look at to get an idea how to do this.
    You would not be making changes in record_char.xml though - you would be doing it in record_char_main.xml

Yeah, my players constantly asking about why they don't have a "Current HP" field instead of "Wounds". I've been seriously considering changing the way it displays to current/remaining hp instead for that reason.

It seems to be something that persists in ALL of the rulesets I've tried at least.

It's because this is the way you would do it in pen and paper. You leave your hp as it is and note wounds, adding in further wounds as you go. FG is only reflecting that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Not the way I did it. I always wrote the HP I had left. Infact the guys I played with all did it that way as well. MAX/Current. Maybe it's the "modern" way (wounds) it's done? Habits from 1983 die hard.

Blog Entries
    I recall also tracking Max and Current. However - when it all comes down to it I prefer to track Wounds... it makes sense on a lot of levels programatically except for Temp Hit Points.

Oh, ok. It was the way we always did it (and yes I go back as far as the eighties too) so I assumed that was the way everyone did. I'm with damned though, makes more sense to start at zero and add wounds. However I can see where you are coming from if you did it differently.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    We always counted down. Still do when using paper. But none of us care when we use FG. The math is easy enough for us. But would never hurt to have the option.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I will point out when you count down it makes HP drains a little easier to understand as it can be easy to double dip when counting up on FG. Example wight hits for 12. FG adds 12 wounds from 0. Your max is normally 20 for simplicity. So if you also lower that by 12 you would be dead. When in fact you should be at 8 hp with a max of 8 if you counted down HP (have done so since 2E myself) you would deduct 12 and it would show 8/20 then you could just drop your max to equal number.

Only way to do this in current FG is to untarget then roll damage, then save and if he fails lower max by said amount and don't touch wounds to accurately portray damage vs dealing effectively double damage by wounds and max lowering.
    FG Ultimate License
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)

Thread Information