5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 12 First 12345 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    In addition to what I mentioned before: this extension, as it is now, triggers the tokens when an entry in the Combat Tracker reaches 0 or less remaining Hit Points. CoreRPG doesn't have the concept of health/HP, which is specific to certain rulesets and can be different in each. So, to make this a "CoreRPG" extension, it would have to be health/HP agnostic - i.e. not rely on anything like that. Maybe a manual check box in the CT entry that would trigger/remove the dead token?
    Yeah I was just poking around this in CoreRPG before heading off to see Guardian's of the Galaxy. I was thinking I might could just check if wounds>HP and trigger but I've not looked at the CT bit in CoreRPG yet to see if it even has wounds.

Something else I want to do is make it so when a token has initiative it gets a glaring indicator. Like a yellow circle/square around it. Right now when a NPC gets initiative and I just look at the map it's hard to tell... that tiny grey circle around it is just not glaring enough for me to notice... I'll probably do this in my ruleset first.

Blog Entries
    Yeah... as Trenloe rightly points out HP and Wounds are not in CoreRPG... Possibly instead of making a universal extension you might give permission to others to borrow your code and make ruleset specific ones?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Yeah... as Trenloe rightly points out HP and Wounds are not in CoreRPG... Possibly instead of making a universal extension you might give permission to others to borrow your code and make ruleset specific ones?
    Hum, whats the best way to do that? Give permission I mean. I assumed making the extension available already did that. I'll happily let anyone steal/borrow anything I wrote to make something better.

I'm a big proponent of improving the wheel. I just stood on the back of the 5e ruleset making it and I think it was a total of about 15 lines of code?

Blog Entries
    You are right in that posting it here means it can be borrowed but its always nice to acknowledge the original effort and ask permission.
    There is no formal process - what you have said above is sufficient.
    I was working on a version for MoreCore and hadnt sussed it out yet but would gladly use your code with permission and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    You are right in that posting it here means it can be borrowed but its always nice to acknowledge the original effort and ask permission.
    This is not true. Code is copyright to the creator even if it is in a product format (module/extension file) that is copyright to Smiteworks. There are community developers here that enforce that copyright, so it is not safe to assume posting on this forum makes code free to use. Actual permission is needed to use it.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    This is not true. Code is copyright to the creator even if it is in a product format (module/extension file) that is copyright to Smiteworks. There are community developers here that enforce that copyright, so it is not safe to assume posting on this forum makes code free to use. Actual permission is needed to use it.
    without filing for a copyright on software its almost impossible to protect and when you do register many parts of the code are still not protected
    the majority of the code is borrowed or modified from Smiteworks code
    the ability to enforce copyright is difficult - even big companies have trouble successfully protecting even large chunks of code...

anyway... I do agree with you, my wording was poor/incomplete and I had meant to write "that posting your consent here means it can be borrowed" - which is what I was requesting and what celestian did.

Indeed. I would just hate to see someone take a post out of context and use it as a legal basis for stealing someone's code. It may be hard to enforce copyright on code, but that doesn't mean that a person or company won't try and make a community member's life terrible for a time.

Thanks for the clarification.

Blog Entries
    clarification: dont take stuff thats not yours without permission

But.... I'm a rogue...

I'm old school, ya frikkin THIEF

Thread Information