DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Can I still upgrade my lcense? Should I?

I haven't gotten to use FG much lately. Now that I'm employed again and might be on a more regular schedule, that may change. I currently have a Full license, and am thinking that I might want to upgrade to an Ultimate, but right now I don't use FG often enough to justify the $110 cost. I can afford a monthly license, probably, but I wonder how that will work.

Does buying a monthly Ultimate license cancel my current, permanent Full license?
    FGU Ultimate -- All Players Welcome
    "Without Love, I'd have no anger. I wouldn't believe in righteousness." -- Bernie Taupin

I'm very certain that the answer is that it doesn't cancel what you have previously payed for. If you end your subscription, it will revert to the license key you have already input, which was full. A good example of this functionality is how during FG-Con, they temporarily upgrade everyone's license to Ultimate and then revert it back after the Con is done.

Just to make sure you know, the only advantage of Ultimate is that you can host any number of demo user's in game when you are GM. If that is something you need, then go for the subscription, otherwise, you probably don't have a reason to upgrade from what you have already.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

The only thing that ultimate gives that standard does not is the ability to HOST any number of DEMO clients. So if you are not a DM with at least 2 players on demo, there is no need to upgrade, except if you buy outright, you'll get a discount on FGU.

Note - you need an ultimate license if you wish to have *any* demo licenses join for normal gaming. A standard license will allow (paid) licenses to join or allow a single demo license only - this is a demo mode and no other players can join. Essentially, for usual multi player gaming, a standard license will not allow any demo licenses to join in.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Hi Michael Hopcraft I recall that you had a number of niche RPGs that always interested you.
    You might have a look at MoreCore and see if it fits some of your needs.

And to your main question - if you arent using it then no matter what the price its not worth it!
    So my answer is - keep your current license and start playing more and if you find a need to GM for players without licenses encourage them to get a license or cop the upgrade.

Thanks for the reassurance. I did find MoreCore, but I am rusty enough that I'm not sure how to add it (my FG install in on an SSD at E:, so auto-installers would be tricky).

Part of my problem getting a gaming experience out of FG (or any other virtual tabletop) is time. I am being pulled in so many different directions when it comes to my time and activities that it's challening to make room for a new campaign. It would be even worse as a GM.

I do pretty well at convention games (though I've never done FG Con, but want to), but would like more practice with the tabletop before committing to that.
    FGU Ultimate -- All Players Welcome
    "Without Love, I'd have no anger. I wouldn't believe in righteousness." -- Bernie Taupin

Thread Information