FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Runtime errors from images

A number of my players have been getting runtime errors recently, in regards to image files.

At first I noticed that they were getting them from jpegs that I had added to the images library, so I unshared those files and the errors stopped.
    However, now I've noticed that players are getting errors from images in official modules as well.

For example, just testing it out now, a player tried to open the Volo's Guide to Monsters Players module and got a bunch of runtime errors:
    Code:
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Cover.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Volo.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Beholder Lair Embed.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Chapter1-1.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Giant-Magic.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Giant-Rock.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Exception: bad allocation

Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Hag-Lair-Players.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Chapter 1-2.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Beholder.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Cloud-Giant-City.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Beholder-2.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/Fire-Giant-Forge.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
    It seems that my players are getting errors like these at random whenever they try to open modules. The modules are properly shared (green checkmark) and opened by me (the DM).
    Is there anything else that could be causing this? And is there a fix?

Blog Entries
    On your computer check your FG Data Folder permissions and re-apply them to all subfolders as a precaution.
    In chat window type /flushdb
    This will unshare all the stuff you have shared....
    Have one player clear her cache and reconnect and then reshare a couple of images.
    The first connection might take some time...
    Have them also check access to shared modules (typically only the PHB).
    If that works have all the players nuke that cache and relogin at least 30mins early on the next session.

I think the issue here is that you've shared modules that are primarily for the GM and this is overloading the player side as it accesses everything when the player opens a module. This causes FG to run out of memory resources and do all sorts of strange things - the "Runtime Error: Exception: bad allocation" error is usually a sign of running out of application memory.

Don't share GM modules with players. Share individual entries with the players as needed. Only give access to things like the PHB, SCAG and similar.

Go into your module activate screen and put red X's against the GM modules you've shared. The players will then need to clear their cache - click the nuke button in the top right of the "Join Game" screen to remove all of the previous cached data from the shared modules.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I haven't shared GM modules though... just the player ones (PHB deluxe, SCAG players guide, and so on). The DM ones are all blocked.

I'll try the /flushdb command and see if that helps this week.
    We have kind of figured out that going slowly (one at a time) helps alleviate the issue somewhat, but people still end up getting the errors.

When this happens, does this problem cause further instability in the game? Is it better if the players relog/clear the cache every time they get a runtime error? Or is it ok to just ignore them?

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I haven't shared GM modules though... just the player ones (PHB deluxe, SCAG players guide, and so on). The DM ones are all blocked.
    Hhhmmm, all of those image names in the errors in post #1 aren't from player modules, they're from Volo's Guide to Monsters. And you said that you were getting errors like these when players opened modules - so I guessed that you had at least Volo's guide to Monsters shared. If you have, then it needs to be unshared and the players need to clear their cache.

Don't ignore any type of errors, unless you know specifically what they are. Runtime Error: Exception: bad allocation is symptomatic of running out of memory. So you'll need to clear some things out (unshare modules, unshare individual images no longer needed, etc.) and the players will have to clear their cache to reset the data in this instance.

If you get runtime errors that are to do with scripts (they'll have a .lua filename in them) or XML files/controls, then these are to do with the code and don't require players to clear their cache - the GM should check that they are running compatible extensions and have the most up-to-date "live" rulesets downloaded.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You would think, with as many people post here about crashing issues, that Smiteworks would change the Module Activation process to block the sharing of modules that are GM only. (They would have to be classified as such, but that isn't hard.)
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Just like it would be nice for the launch screen to put a red warning when you are using an unpacked extension or unpacked ruleset, as that is another frequent problem.

I really think the issue is that FGU is so close no one wants to do much but work on game improvements (at least that is what I choose to hope!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Just like it would be nice for the launch screen to put a red warning when you are using an unpacked extension or unpacked ruleset, as that is another frequent problem.

I really think the issue is that FGU is so close no one wants to do much but work on game improvements (at least that is what I choose to hope!)
    This statement is very strange to me.
    FG is continuously being updated.
    Almost all the code that JPG writes goes into both platforms.
    There have been significant updates to the current FG experience while the FGU project has been underway.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    This statement is very strange to me.
    FG is continuously being updated.
    Yeah, strange statement.

We agree, damned. I was just pointing out like Nickademus a feature that would cut down on the help requests here and observing that no one probably wants to tackle such software changes because they are busy on enhancements in-game, which will be in both platforms. I was hoping that the drive to get to an initial, stable launch point for FGU was the reason SW might not be receptive right now to suggestions that reduce the number of errors people make in setting up for their game (unpacked, old rulesets, and Nickademus's suggestion).

Thread Information