5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... Last

Champions 4th Edition Campaign

This is likely a bit premature as I am still working on the details of putting this together in MoreCore, but I wanted to begin putting out feelers.

I want to run a long term superhero campaign using Champions 4th edition rules. It will be run on a weekly basis in 2 hour increments, either 7 pm to 9 pm est or 10 pm to 12 pm est on weekday, other than wednesday, or anytime on saturday.

We will likely start with an extra-long character generation session and create our characters together. If you need to pick up the rules, hurry over to bundle of holding and get it while it's on sale at a once in a lifetime steal.

New players to FG, Champions or Super Hero games are all welcome. I have an Ultimate License, so demo users are welcome.

If you are interested, please sign up here. Let's go save the world a few times together.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

I would love a 10pm to 12am est time monday or tuesday or friday game

I am new to fantasy grounds (I have the base version) and have never played Champions. However I have played every edition of DnD since 2nd, world of darkness, call of cthulhu, various star wars rpgs, and mutants and masterminds and can pick up systems quick. The 10 pm to 12 am on monday or tuesday works for me as well. What is the tone of the game you're aiming for?

I'll be running one of many Champions modules that I have. Haven't decided yet which one to start out with or what the tone exactly will be. More than likely it will be Golden Age epic level superheroes vice the old silver age lower powered superheroes. Beyond that, a lot of the tone will be set by input of the players and by the module adventure we are working with.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Excellent. Including my 16 year old son, that makes four, assuming we can all agree on a time. That is enough to make a viable super team, although the table is still open for more to join.

Given that there are no in game manuals, players will need to pick up pdfs of the players handbook so they can read the rules and be able to design thier characters. Best way to do that is to take advantage of the bundle of holding sale linked previously while it's still available.

I am still working on the necessary infrastructure in MoreCore with Damned, so give it at least a couple weeks till we can start.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Depending on the time, I'd be interested.
    A little about me:

I'm a very experienced role-player. I used to play back int he 70s and 80s when I was a kid. I stopped playing in my 20s because I just didn't have anyone to play with. I started up again about a year ago because FantasyGrounds makes it possible to play online and get a group.

I currently run a D&D 5e game every other Friday. I also play in a D&D 5e game every other Saturday. But my true passion has always been superhero RPGs. And also, I am playing in a Monday-night Mutants and Masterminds game.

I've never actually played Champions Pen & Paper. Or maybe once a long time ago. I've played Champions Online, if that counts. I recently started really getting into Mutants and Masterminds, since that's really the only SuperHero RPG on FG, but the modules really aren't very good.

Anyway, I'd love to play in another superhero RPG if the times are right. 7 to 9 most weeknights would be good for me. 9 to 11 would be more difficult, but I could probably work it out. And I am free Saturday during the day, or every alternate Saturday night. Or any time Sunday.

I'd also be willing to buy any sourcebooks I might need if it would help me with character creation or learning Champions rules.

I have zero champions background. But I have played tabletop for 24 years. I have played mutants and masterminds a bit, 3.5 D&D, pathfinder, savage worlds, white wolf, shadow run, ars magica. I am working on getting the players handbook pdf for champions 4th edition. As I stated I am fine monday tuesday or friday nights.

Not a problem with having never played Champions. Actually, last time I played it was 1983, lol.

It's a fairly straight forward system. The most difficult part will be actually making your characters. However, if you have much experience with RPG's, you will recognize a lot of things. Champions basically invented the concept of Point Buy with Advantages and Disadvantages. So, if you have ever played a system that uses that, like Savage Worlds, for example, or probably hundreds of others, then you'll recognize what to do.

First start by conceptually designing your character in your head. Visualize what his origin and power source is and what he can do with it. For example, Ice Man. He is a mutant and has the power of controlling ice. What can he do with ice? List out a few powers in your own words. Once you have done that, look thru the generic listing of powers in the game. Find the powers that fit the ones you described. Pay the points for them. We will be using 100 character points with a maximum of 150 bonus points due to disadvantages.

The generic list, for example, doesn't have ice bolt, lightning bolt, fireblast etc. It has energy blast. Energy Blast can be used to model ice bolt, lightning bolt, fireblast etc. In the game it is called Power vs. Effect. You choose the Effect then find the Power that fits the Effect.

Combat is also very straight forward.

You have an Offensive Combat Value with each attack. You have a Defensive Combat Value. I will assist you in setting up your character sheets with the appropriate MoreCore rolls. Once all that is set up, you simply doubleclick and it will report to chat the maximum DCV that you hit. I will then tell you if you hit or miss.

Then you doubleclick your damage. Damage reports both Stun damage and Body damage. You have 2 hit point totals. If you take stun damage equal to your Stun total, you are unconscious. If you take Body damage equal to your Body total, you die.

Stun total recovers a little each round.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Our MoreCore support is finalized. Damned is rolling it out with his next update. So, let's set a tentative start date of 2 weeks from now, which will give me time to prep and the players time to read the rules and start character design. Have your characters ready on paper at least. I'll likely need to help people set up the MoreCore character sheet properly unless you are familiar with it. For those wanting to try playing around with it, once the update is rolled out, if you hadn't seen this thread yet, this will have information how to set up rolls. But, don't sweat it if it doesn't make sense to you. I will be preparing an example character to demonstrate how to set things up.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Thread Information