STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Cool A successful Session 0

So I took the plunge last night, and ran my first game on FG last night and it happened to be in C&C. For me it was a definite success, I learned a ton about the GM side of the house and even though things were a bit disjointed as most (as in 4 of the 5 people in the game, including me) of us aren't experts in the ruleset.

My plan is to run the entire A adventure story arc, on a bi-weekly basis, but we will see what happens.

Next session is set for 7 May @ 5 pm CT/6 pm ET (I think that's 11 GMT/UTC - whatever that zone is for you guys over there).

Drop me line in this thread or PM me if there is any interest.
    Ultimate License Holder

Blog Entries
    Good for you. Have fun!
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Awesome

Congratulations on your first of many successful sessions!

DM-Kevin - Current campaign running: D&D 5.0 Tomb of Annihilation -

Congratulations - I still have to take the plunge and set up my first session as DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexfire View Post
    Congratulations - I still have to take the plunge and set up my first session as DM.
    Don't wait three years like Mortar did! ;-)
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Good to hear Mortar. If needed, you can run a second FG and login as a player (navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe" if using Windows. If using OSX, it can get tricky). The benefit of doing this outside of your campaign time is to have a full understanding on what you do as a DM and how it appears on the player's side (combat tracker and hidden guys--as a player it's easy to tell when an a hidden NPC is in the combat tracker because the "your turn" icon disappears). And reduces the "I just did something (as a DM). Can you see it? How about now? Now?"

I would not run a second application during gameplay though. I see little to know benefit for that.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all!

It was a total blast being on the other side of the table, so much so I am thinking about other campaigns (in other systems). The biggest drawback for me in this one is my overall lack of experience with the ruleset - haven't played it enough.
    Ultimate License Holder

Just don't be afraid. I remember reading many of the "Ecology" articles in Dragon Magazine and it helped me to realize that the more successful adventures had a realism to them and things made sense.

For example, a magically sealed tomb is finally entered after 1000 years. Dust is everywhere. Skeletons and zombies in every room until a room full of (living) wild dogs is encountered. /record screech

Why are their living dogs surrounded by zombies in a tomb not opened for 1000 years?

This tomb can be altered a few ways. Maybe the door is sealed up but inside there are footprints and signs of previous adventures. Near the dog area put a section of rubble which allows for fresh air/passage. Now maybe the dogs/adventurers came in that way.

But I see 'weird' stuff in published modules too. The first encounter in Lost Mine of Phandelver is a goblin ambush where the goblins leave two dead horses to rot and block the road. My take on goblins is meat is meat and they are intelligent enough to know hunting takes awhile and is unpredictable and they can't waltz into the grocery store for 10 pounds of your finest cut. So I have the goblins eat/carve off/drag as much of the horse meat as possible. Were talking a potential of 4000 pounds of food. Left to rot because they prefer chasing rats in the forest?

So as you read material, if you go "ah... what?", your player's might too. Your goal isn't to find and change and explain all that, but understand you cannot take a series of random encounters and expect is to flow perfectly. When in doubt, blame it on nature. The wall is smashed because of a tree.

Congratulation Mortar, glad to hear you had fun. I would be interested in joining the game if you have room.

Thread Information