STAR TREK 2d20
Page 19 of 70 First ... 917181920212969 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
    Been a Roll20 player for years but found I don't have time to create all the macros I needed to automate. Finally bit the bullet and bought into FG during Steam Winter sale and have been really impressed. The group I am in now started with and has always enjoyed 1E. I see the classes for Fighter, Thief, MU & Cleric. Am I missing Ranger, Paladin, Druid sub classes somewhere? Will Unearthed Arcana add Barbarian and Cavalier? Thanks for doing this. Can't wait to dig into this.
    As an aside, while there is a steam sale going on any suggestions for supplements or modules?
    Thanks!
    Evening Jack. The classes that exist in the OSRIC bundle are all that exist in that form right now. However you can easily add new classes by using the "Classes" records and entering in the data. You can use the OSRIC classes as an example. It should be pretty simple.

If you have the Core Rules CD there are some tools to import a lot of the data that way as well if you're ok using the 2e versions.

The AD&D Core ruleset and it's data is mostly a 1 man project (me) but I'd be happy to help you sort out what you're trying to do to play some AD&D. You can catch me in Discord as "Celestian #0854". Drop me a note and we'll see what ya need setup.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

If only WotC would recognize that there are people out there who would LOVE to buy 1e modules/books. I would love to be able to get official old time license modules to buy at FG . I can enter stuff but as a heavily overworked developer and Dad... time is way shorter than my ability to pay for premise modules.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    If only WotC would recognize that there are people out there who would LOVE to buy 1e modules/books. I would love to be able to get official old time license modules to buy at FG . I can enter stuff but as a heavily overworked developer and Dad... time is way shorter than my ability to pay for premise modules.
    They've come a little way with the products being available on dmsguild.com but they are mostly (all?) scans and not easy to extract data from.
    I wonder if they dont even have original text sources any more...?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    They've come a little way with the products being available on dmsguild.com but they are mostly (all?) scans and not easy to extract data from.
    I wonder if they dont even have original text sources any more...?
    They do for the core books. With the re-prints of the 1e and 2e books they completely scanned and re-produced them. You can tell by the PDF's of those same books. I'd be really surprised if they don't exist in "word" or "doc" files somewhere at WoTC.

I've done most of the work for them already (at least the 2e version) and they could certainly make use of that (phb/dmg ref books) to start. That said I've emailed the Dmsguilds folks asking about supporting other versions of the game but gotten no where. Currently they only allow a specific version of the game to be sold on the site for things like this and it's not AD&D or basic D&D unfortunately.

I'll probably send them another email since it's a new year and try again sometime soon.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Yup, I’ve bought a whole hell of a lot of 1e (and 2e) pdfs. All the core books and many source books and several adventures.

I know have bought 1e ToEE 3 times (and like several modules, I had scanned copies already as well) and Night Below, Retile God, Greyhawk Gazeteer and couple others also I’ve bought replacements for worn out printed then more recently PDFs.

But... I meant making as Celestian is aware, FG versions or at least licensing so SW/FG versions could be made to sell.

For many years, WotC would not even sell PDFs of their 3.x materials. They believed that the existence of 3.x threatened their 4th edition. Now that they moved on to 5th edition, they seem to have gotten over that. However, it could be that they don't want to license older materials because it would compete with their current 5e production efforts. Kind of makes sense. They can't unprint their earlier material, so they might as well enjoy the revenue stream selling PDFs. But they CAN prevent anyone from making new material using their old edition by not issuing licenses and limiting 3rd parties to whatever open gaming license the edition had (which was not much prior to 3e).

This very thread is proof of their thinking. The OP will either go to the effort of entering all his old stuff he has (since no license means no purchasable product), or, more likely, he will eventually tire of taking all that time to enter stuff and move on to 5e (or some other game in active development). Or he will go back to pen and paper with his old stuff.

I doubt the FG subset drives their decision making.

For my nonbFG play (ie other than this be game a week), I do 1e tabletop week th some 2e. I haven’t bought ugly any new 5e other than FG versions and those only because I love this software and wants o keep using it.

However, I have been more and more playing around with C&C in addition to my 2e tabletop. As a mapping tool for players (their maps are low res but I’m learning to create own) with DM tracking / mob management,!it helps at table.

5e is fine. But it is still too “new” for me with leveling/video game influences cos book ones. From magic changes to fall down get up and fight etc. I love playing due to the players and DM only marginally due to the rules.

I’ve bought a ton of S&W PDFs. Yet another non WOTC company. But prob will just use in AD&D.

I think 5e is great as s modern system. I doubt any but SOME longtime older OSR players feel the loss. Of course to me the old fame competes well against video games where the new ones do not (again to me, rather play mmo in many cases, since speed of leveling, resilience of all classes, class vs party balancing, and constant casting are already acceptable in those)

But off topic, just wish didn’t have to cut and paste as much. But it isn’t horrible to do. Maps can be more work because ones I buy arr always prettier

Blog Entries
    Varsuuk you be trippin' again my man!

*still*

(PS hard to type on wee little iphone (even plus) keyboard for me... I should wait until back at desktop for these things)

I wasn’t only talking FG. Hero lab can’t get old license either but not sure how hard they tried.

Thread Information