FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 12 of 70 First ... 210111213142262 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    So, wanted to get some feedback on this. Right now anyone that gets a natural 20 gets a crit hit. In some cases it takes a natural 20 for the creature (or pc) to hit the creature. Does it make sense that the target can only hit with a crit?

I've configured a check to look for that situation and if so it won't allow crit and plan to test it in my games but was curious what anyone else thought. Crit hits/misses are really an optional rule anyway so just wondering what makes sense.
    We always played that a 20 always hit but that it was only a critical hit if you *could* hit with a 20. That way some things that should be darn near un-hittable had a chance to be hit, but not a chance to be *ended* with some catastrophic effect. Taking out a big-bad with a lucky roll was never truly satisfying.

We also used the "Good Hits and Bad Misses" crit tables from Dragon Magazine (Dragon #39, 1980)... though we didn't use the more complicated system they used. But if I was to play a 1e-2e game now, with a VTT to work out the calcs and auto roll the percentage, I *would* use their system since it scales based on how well you hit and how well you can hit... addressing two of the core problems of a d20 crit/fumble system.

You can read the article here: https://www.superdan.net/download/bl...9-CritHits.pdf

Looks like the PDF is from the best of Dragon Vol. 5 (laid out differently from the earlier article.)

All of that said, I do think any Critical/Fumble system you incorporate into the rules does need to be a "House Rule"... preferably with modifiable tables, etc. I've found that many old-school gamers have used different crit systems. Heck I just pulled out my dog-eared photocopy of the Dragon article that I would hang on my DM screen and I have notes all over it for modifications that were made for our game... and low-and-behold I see that we did, at some point, modify the Crit system when needing over 20 to hit. It prompted a percentile roll:

1-50 Regular Hit
    51-80 Double
    81-95 Triple
    96-100 Roll on the Crit Chart

Not sure how often we used that house rule though... I would probably poll my players for its application to see if it held up for today's sensibilities... *shrug*

btw is there a list of effects somewhere?

Based on the feedback it sounds like I need to add a option for just allowing crits/fumbles at all and then also crit only if they can hit and then result of the crit. That's at least 2 options, possibly three. Kinda why I was not wanting to confuse a DM with to many options in the campaign settings.

I'll tinker around with the types of crits. Right now it uses what 5e uses and doubles the damage dice (which, for our games we really like since it gives 2handed weapons more potency on crits) but sounds like we need that, or *2 option at least and possibly the random normal/*2/*3 version.

I'll get a framework that can tweak those fields and play with it and see what works well and post back.

The always hit on 20 and miss on 1 is certainly a 2e thing so perhaps I need to make a toggle or at least at a feature in the 1e extension to not use it.

From 2e DMG, pg 75 (black version)
    No matter what number a character needs to hit, a roll of 20 is always considered a hit and a roll of 1 is always a miss unless the DM rules otherwise. Under most circumstances, a natural 20 hits and a natural 1 misses, regardless of any modifiers applied to the die roll
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Hmm I created a ton of classes and my players cannot see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    btw is there a list of effects somewhere?
    You should be able to use the 5e effects listing with only a few tweaks such as the BAC (base AC) BSTR (base strength), BPSTR (base percent strength) and so on listed in the posts here.

This is the best link for Effects I've found.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    Hmm I created a ton of classes and my players cannot see them.
    My guess is you make the classes as a record ? What you'll need to do is export them as a module then allow your players to load that module.

What I tend to do is have a campaign for things like this, I have many campaigns specifically to create and export the records for these records.

• NPCs
    • Spells
    • Items
    • Classes
    • Races
    • etc...

So, if I know I want to update the "Classes" I would load up the classes campaign, edit the class and then export classes as a module. In the actual campaign the players connect to to play I would load that module and allow the players to load it (drag/drop the green icon). So, it looks like this in the data module activation.

You can also place those items in a reference manual once you've got them nailed down (dont need to update them anymore) but thats an entirely difference monsters I wouldn't touch less you've started already... but don't ask me how to do it right
    ---

I get a error after I added an effects to orcs in ct

Ruleset Error: window: Control(label) anchoring to an undefined control (leftanchor) in windowclass (ct_effect)

Quote Originally Posted by jab112 View Post
    I get a error after I added an effects to orcs in ct

Ruleset Error: window: Control(label) anchoring to an undefined control (leftanchor) in windowclass (ct_effect)
    Do you have any extensions? (if so, disable these to ensure it's not the culprit)

How exactly did you add the effect to the orc?

What is the the effect string you added to the orc?

Let me know those items and I'll test it myself and see what's going on.
    ---

screenshot0001.png If you look at attachment you can see the effects name is under the graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by jab112 View Post
    screenshot0001.png If you look at attachment you can see the effects name is under the graphics.
    I ran some tests with npc/pcs with intoxication and ran a few rounds of combat. Added a duration and after a bit they all expired w/o errors.

Do you have any extensions.
    ---

Thread Information