DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Running FG on a physical Lan

Has anyone tried this? I have unplugged my modem, and just ran my router to try and locally set up a game with my home pcs. One pc a demo, and the other a Standard license.
    Fails everytime.

Can fantasy grounds be played locally on a physical Lan with no internet. And if so, how did yall make it work.

I have tried Hamachi, but it doesn't like to work with any firewall settings, it has to have firewall off which has caused problems before. But that defeats the purpose, I want to use my laptop as the GM/host, and have my players connect their laptops to my LAN at the kitchen table.

is it possible without using a vpn. just a physical lan or network hub?

You need internet access upon connection to verify licenses. After the clients connect, internet is no longer needed. I did something similar with connecting clients up locally like a LAN party.
    US East Coast-Based DM - Ultimate Licence Holder

If everyone has a standard license they don't need to be connected to the Internet at all (AFAIK). If the GM has an Ultimate license they need to have a one time internet connection to verify the key, I imagine the same thing needs to be done if anyone has a subscription.

Blog Entries
    The Demo licenses require an active Internet connection to check the host' ability to "host them". Standard licenses don't require any check at all. Turn off the alias feature for your game and just use the Internal IP address shown in FG.

So if im using a standard subscription and 1 demo client with a network hub, they both would have to start up with a internet connection then disable the connection and enable the hard connection to the hub?

Can anyone confirm fg operation with a local lan and the steps took to make it work if able

Ok ill try that, ill let ya know how it turns out. Thanks

Blog Entries
    A demo connecting to a Standard would put the system into Demo mode, which I don't think you want either. It would be best with a Standard or Lite license. We don't really advertise the Lite licenses any more since they are player only; however, you can still get them here.

If I can get the systems to connect to each other a lite license would be good for additional pcs in the home.

Blog Entries
    Note, I have heard some people use there phone as a hotspot just to allow the license check. Then they just turn off the hotspot once everyone is connected.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Note, I have heard some people use there phone as a hotspot just to allow the license check. Then they just turn off the hotspot once everyone is connected.
    This will require complex network setup - two network interfaces on each demo player computer. One for the hotspot connection to the Internet and the other for a (probably wired) connection to the GMs computer on the LAN. It can be done, but it's not simple as you can't use just the hotspot.

Best to go with the Standard (Full) license for the GM and other standard or lite licenses for the players.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information