DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Fog of War?

Fog of War?

New to the forums, haven't purchased FG yet.
    I've been comparing like-systems before my and my group commit.
    I was looking around to see if there was a function to restrict field of vision per player (for dungeons and the like), and I found an article from early 2016 that said that the feature had been demoed.
    So my question is this: Has this been implemented yet and if not is there a release date?

There is currently DM-controlled "fog of war" where you can reveal what parts of the map you want. The demo you saw is the future FG in development on the Unity engine that allows dynamic lighting/fog of war on a per-character basis
    US East Coast-Based DM - Ultimate Licence Holder

The current FOG is not character dependent, it's party or nothing.

Blog Entries
    And welcome to the Community!

We really do suggest you give FG a try. You can do an ultimate subscription for $10 for the first month to see if you like it. And if you don't like it Smiteworks will give you your money back; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...back-guarantee

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

He's referring to dynamic lighting, and no, FG doesn't have it currently. In terms of normal FOW, you need to unmask areas manually as your party explores them.

I've been looking for an answer to this dynamic lighting question. So much talk about future updates. Is this a soon thing or a years thing? Super curious as I can't decide between FG and roll20.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizmal View Post
    I've been looking for an answer to this dynamic lighting question. So much talk about future updates. Is this a soon thing or a years thing? Super curious as I can't decide between FG and roll20.
    My humble opinion on the choice is do you want automation that makes running the game easier or better map tools. FG will give you much better tools for automation and running the game than Roll20. Roll20's map tools are going to outshine FG's certainly with dynamic lighting and fog of war as well as LoS.

I'd suggest trying the monthly "standard" subscription and see if you like FG. Same with Roll20. Both are fairly inexpensive. Both have some hurdles to make with UI but find what fits your needs.

As to FGU (FantasyGrounds Unity) they've not made any announcements on release dates.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    celestian hits the nail on the head. Do you want a program that will light up your map or do you want tools and functionality that make every single other aspect of running a game better?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forums Bizmal

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizmal View Post
    No one can tell you how long it will be for Fantasy Ground Unity (which will have dynamic lighting) to come out. Which does, in and of itself, kinda answer your question: It's not a "soon thing".

That said, if I was making my decision on which VTT to use because dynamic lighting was the number one thing on my list, I wouldn't be looking at Roll20--I'd be looking at Maptool (which has lights, sight, and auras.)

However, I concur with the others above--if you're looking for polished commercial rulesets and game management features built-in, and you can wait for dynamic lighting, you need look no further than the current FG.

Thread Information