DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

5e Character Level UP?

How do/should you level up a 1st level 5e character? Does FG auto-level a character (change/populate the correct field, i.e, Spell slots, skills, stats) based on any given data, such as adding XP points? Is this a manual process or does FG help you with this in an automated fashion?

Laerun

You level up by dragging a class into the character sheet and dropping it on the class section. This will automatically add any new abilities, spell slots, increase proficiency bonus (if applicable) and add standard hit points per level. There is no automagical level up based on XP (since FG cannot know which class you want to level up in). You will still have to select spells/increase abilities (if appropriate) and make sure you create any effects for new abilities.

You can also ignore drag and drop and do it all manually.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

So, are you telling me that 'if' I have a first level PC, I can keep adding (dragging) the same class over onto the sheet and it will level up each time? If a drag it (the class) two more times it would be 3rd level?

Yes, or if you started as a rogue and dragged in a level of Barbarian you'd be a multiclasssed rogue/barbarian.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Okay, got it, that makes more sense to me... now. Thanks for the clarifications...! Well met, and Happy Gaming~!

if you assign XP via the Party Sheet, it will keep a total of XP, so you can see when you level up... but when you level up, you have to manually put in the next XP Target for the next level... just a reminder
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    UK Based DM - Ultimate Licence Holder
    Discord: Mavrik6666#9572

That's where I got stuck. Kept adding XP and expecting the system to work its magic. When it works it's fabulous, but there are some areas that need sorting.

That's because FG is NOT a character builder. There's a lot of logic that needs built into the ruleset or engine that area only used a small portion of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by limeyben View Post
    That's where I got stuck. Kept adding XP and expecting the system to work its magic. When it works it's fabulous, but there are some areas that need sorting.
    FG cannot know what class you want to level up in. If it went right ahead and levelled you up in your current class and you wanted to take a level of another class then you would be on here moaning about how FG needs sorting. The main thing to always bear in mind here is that FG is not a character builder; it works just like it would in the pen and paper equivalent (with a good deal more automation certainly).

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    FG cannot know what class you want to level up in. If it went right ahead and levelled you up in your current class and you wanted to take a level of another class then you would be on here moaning about how FG needs sorting. The main thing to always bear in mind here is that FG is not a character builder; it works just like it would in the pen and paper equivalent (with a good deal more automation certainly).
    Point taken, but when I'm in DM mode, I often want to crank out a highish level NPC as an adversary and much faster than I'm going to level up my PCs. I'm loving FG as a whole, but like anything else, it's not perfect and we all have differing needs. My comment wasn't meant as a rebuke, just a recognition of the limitations of the system (any system).

Thread Information