Starfinder Playlist

D&D 5E Alarm spell (detectable by rogues?)

So I was hoping for a little input from other players/DM's on this matter. In 5e the Alarm spell has nothing specific in the spell wording that indicates it is a trap as is found in other spells that are detectable by rogues. The only place where it is mentioned is in the slightly altered definition of "trap" as find in the "Find trap" spell.

How have other people seen this played out, either as a player or as a DM?

As far as I know Rogues have no special ability to detect traps over any other class. A rogue may have a better chance of disarming a trap (if he has thieves tools proficiency and has a set handy) but his chance to spot one would be the same as any other character. For magical traps I'd say it's most likely that arcane characters would have a better chance to circumvent the trap but, again, the chance of detection will depend on perception and the DC to spot.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

In this case I'm curious if the alarm spell is even detectable by a perception check?

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't rule so; it's magical so unless there's something that gives away it's presence, until it is triggered, Perception doesn't give you anything.

Perhaps someone might use Perception to notice that the camp doesn't have any guards posted and everyone seems to be resting peacefully. One might then wonder if you're sneaking up on a bunch of rubes, or if there's something else protecting/warding/alerting the camp.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thank you for the input and perspective.

From the DMG p. 121
    Any character can attempt an Intelligence (Arcana) check to detect or disarm a magic trap, in addition to any other checks noted in the trap's description. The DCs are the same regardless of the check used. In addition, dispel magic has a chance of disabling most magic traps. A magic trap's description provides the DC for the ability check made when you use dispel magic.
    Class has nothing to do with using skills or tools. Passive Perception lets anyone notice a mechanical trap; Investigation lets anyone purposely find a mechanical trap; Arcana lets anyone purposely find a magical trap. Thieves' tools lets anyone to disarm a mechanical trap (it is noted in the DMG that proficiency is required though Mike Mearls has stated that tools should be usable without proficiency); Arcana lets anyone disarm a magical trap. Proficiency in the skill adds to the roll but is not required.

Now the question is still whether the alarm spell is a magical trap. Seems that is up to the GM.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

The wording of the find trap spell seems to point to it being a trap.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I would likely rule so as well in my games. But what bothers me is that the alarm spell is missing the additional information that magical traps are supposed to communicate (dispel magic DC).
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I think they leave it kinda vague for the dm's to decide on how they would like to handle the situation. In the game I run, I would only allow a alarm spell to be detected by detect magic and not by visual perception check or investigation check cause the field the alarm spell creates is invisible.

I think the alarm spell is specifically designed to not be a trap (in the manner of what a rogue could find while sneaking into a place) and subsequently the find trap spell is specifically designed to circumvent this loophole.

Thread Information