FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last

Interest in an official Classic D&D ruleset

If you would be interested in an official Classic ruleset along the lines of OSRIC, please tell us.
    Support:
    https://support.fantasygrounds.com/
    Have a suggestion for a feature? Go here https://fgapp.idea.informer.com

Blog Entries
    Yes please.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I'd certainly be interested!
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EST) United States; GMT -5 hours

Yes
    I'm interested in an OSRIC or Labyrinth Lord one.

What Lokiare is actually asking is if the AD&D ruleset were renamed as OSRIC and made an official ruleset. OSRIC and AD&D are essentially the same game. But, if they made it official, they would need to change the name of the ruleset to avoid any entanglements with WotC.

I abstain, though you know my feelings already.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    As long as the resulting ruleset can do everything it needs to.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Yes, please!
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Now that I have a little more time, let me explain a bit what has been going on.

With regards to asking about an OSRIC official ruleset, the point is they are trying to judge interest in classic D&D products (non-TSR mind you, but some of the creative stuff from the OSR).

My feeling regarding making the AD&D ruleset official is that I don't see the need and don't really want to give up the freedom of that having community ruleset status provides with regards to certain things, like not having to change the name and such. I also feel that I can take care of my user base on a quicker and more direct basis as things are right now. However, If making it official and changing the name to something that would keep us lower down on the radar from WotC will allow us to publish some of the OSR modules and such, then I'm not against it either.

At the same time, however, what I had proposed to Smiteworks was to have what I call C&C+ products. They would be OSR (originally from OSRIC, LL, S&W etc) adventure modules that have been officially converted with permission from the module creators for use in the C&C ruleset, but that also provide "Bonus" material or "Bonus" mode of play, so that you will also have the resources available to play that module in any of our rulesets that are based on the original or first edition of the worlds oldest roleplaying game. In other words, one module that can be loaded into several rulesets and has the necessary npc stats and items etc for that game.

For example, if I were to convert Expeditious Retreat Press's https://www.lulu.com/shop/matthew-fi...t-4294509.html to be a C&C module, I would also provide the necessary means to run it in the AD&D ruleset, S&W ruleset, DCC RPG ruleset, Basic Fantasy etc. This extra features and material would be soley the responsiblity of the module converter and ruleset creator to ensure works and not Smiteworks responsiblity. Smiteworks responsibility would be to ensure the official material works in their official ruleset and nothing more. This approach is in the spirit of the OSR movement to allow use of adventure material in whatever variation of rules that you prefer.

Smiteworks is trying to decide to either say, no, just keep things with C&C, or well, let's possibly make the AD&D ruleset as a classic OSRIC official ruleset and leave it at that. What I am trying to do is to open things up to work with various rulesets. They have not bought into that idea yet.

Now is your time to speak up. I know the crowd that enjoys older games is in the minority, but now is the time to stand up and be counted and vocal for what you want.

Additionally, as a provision for consenting to convert some of these works for the module creators, we are obtaining permission to do conversions for Pathfinder and 5e, so if you would like to see some alternatives to some of the 6 month long, expensive hardback, Epic Fantasy adventures coming out of Paizo and WotC for your favorite modern game, you won't be left out, so voice your opinion here also.
    Last edited by vodokar; February 18th, 2017 at 01:02.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Yes for me too

Blog Entries
    I would buy a classic ruleset or three. I probably wont run that much stuff with any of them because I have only got so many gaming hours and they be full but I would still grab one (or more) if it were available

Thread Information