DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    So, my intent with this thread, and for a possible resulting workshop, was to help encourage people to GM more, especially at FG Con.

Yes, it's almost the same as GMing anytime with FG. But as Damned points out, their are a few differences.

Yes there are videos, yes there is written help, but people still are nervous or shy, and we (the entire RPG community) still have a shortage of GM's (when you compare the number of available game slots to the number of those looking to play). Different people learn different ways; by watching videos, by reading documents, and by doing. This would try to get to the "doing" approach for learning.

So, if a "workshop" format would help, then I would volunteer to help do such.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It's something a few people have requested so, as we appear to have a volunteer, I think it's a great idea to run this perhaps 3-4 weeks before FG Con. I think two weeks before might be a bit late for some GMs who may still be on the fence and haven't posted an event yet. We usually cut off GM submissions a week before and want to allow GMs time to think about their session details and post with enough time to stand a reasonable chance to get enough players for their game.

Maybe a second Q&A session at 2 weeks before may be an additional option to help GMs put the finishing touches to their prep?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Im down for workshops, i will never be to a point where i cannot get better

Wow this is a great idea. Thanks guys

I think my initial post was a little bit abrupt. I am happy you guys are doing this, I think it is a great idea. I was just concerned that some of the effort involved might be wasted as the resources are already present.

You guys are certainly more experienced here, and would certainly see where the deficiencies are. Good luck with the demonstration and I hope this does bring in the much needed DMs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Atua View Post
    I think my initial post was a little bit abrupt. I am happy you guys are doing this, I think it is a great idea. I was just concerned that some of the effort involved might be wasted as the resources are already present.

You guys are certainly more experienced here, and would certainly see where the deficiencies are. Good luck with the demonstration and I hope this does bring in the much needed DMs.
    No problem. You raised valid concerns. I myself am a read/document type of guy. Can't abide by the pace of a video and would usually learn by doing. But, others learn differently and GMing on something as uncertain as an online convention is actually pretty intimidating for most people.

Hopefully this will help with that

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    So, what things, unique to a Con or not, need to be addressed?

I'm thinking;

- What you need to run
    - - FG license (none!)
    - - Adventure
    - - - How to pick and size an adventure...
    - - Reference/Resources?
    - - Pre-Gen characters

- What to do before the game starts
    - - Emails...
    - - Scheduling...

- What to do during the game
    - - Introductions
    - - Staying on Track

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    - What you need to run
    - - FG license (none!)
    GM needs a Standard license, which will be upgraded to Ultimate for the duration of the convention so that any player can join.

I'd expand the list to:

- What you need to run
    - - FG license (Standard or Ultimate) running in the latest "live" (not "test" or "dev") mode.
    - - TeamSpeak 3 client with a headset & built-in mic.
    - - Adventure
    - - - How to pick and size an adventure...
    - - Reference/Resources?
    - - Pre-Gen characters
    - - Getting it all setup in FG
    - - - Own creation gotchas - image optimisation, etc..
    - - - Testing

- - FG Con website
    - - - Navigation.
    - - - Registering your event. Information needed & getting the time right.
    - - - Reviewing event once published
    - - - Checking/responding to comments.
    - - - Managing Player bookings.

- What to do before the game starts
    - - Emails... Communicate, communicate, communicate...
    - - Scheduling...
    - - Test player connection check.
    - - Teamspeak Channel setup.

- What to do during the game
    - - Introductions
    - - Staying on Track
    - - Closing it out.
    - - Post game activities (if any) - e.g. 3PP support activities if required.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I would be really interested in this, as I'm hoping to host my first Con game at FG Con in April.
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EST) United States; GMT -5 hours

Blog Entries
    Trenloe, thanks for fleshing that out

So, Other than just going through this, all of this needs to be documented so that there is a handout or place to take notes. What would be the best format? A presentation/slides? A document? Or...?

Then, is capturing the session via a video with audio sufficient?

Is a web meeting the right workshop format?

Thread Information