Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
    Not at all - you're welcome. And now I have a better idea of what was confusing about the description in the campaign (or lack of) - I can make some changes.

Kris, I hated to be a rock, but I think you presumed everyone knew things from meanders 1, and folks like me did not. I doubt I was the only one who was so confused by the lack of explanation on the kickstarter that they passed on it.

I think I finally get it. (or at least most of it -- I will e-mail you separately if I have any specific questions).

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Kris, I hated to be a rock, but I think you presumed everyone knew things from meanders 1, and folks like me did not. I doubt I was the only one who was so confused by the lack of explanation on the kickstarter that they passed on it.

I think I finally get it. (or at least most of it -- I will e-mail you separately if I have any specific questions).
    No, don't worry about it mate, I apologise if the campaign or any parts of it were unclear and appreciate the opportunity to make it clearer - I am afterall seeking funding from investors so what is being invested in should be crystal evident - so your comments were welcome and have helped me to narrow down what I was missing and fix it. I've given the whole campaign a revision - if you could take a look and let me know how it reads, that would be awesome. And of course if you have any more questions, either post em here, PM or at the kickstarter - I don't mind.

Kind Regards,
    Kris

OK, Kris, the only thing holding me back is that I cannot afford all the add-ons I want, and there is no mention there how you can expand your collection after-the-fact when kickstart funds. I quick web search didn't reveal any way to buy the original meanders material either (so assuming might not be able to get meanders 2 stuff later?)

Blog Entries
    In the previous ones he has run he has allowed paypal after the Kickstarter for additional add-ons.

I have a feeling that if this one gets some higher level of backers it will get more attention and more and more people will join.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    OK, Kris, the only thing holding me back is that I cannot afford all the add-ons I want, and there is no mention there how you can expand your collection after-the-fact when kickstart funds. I quick web search didn't reveal any way to buy the original meanders material either (so assuming might not be able to get meanders 2 stuff later?)
    Damn - I had a note about VIP treatment for all backers in the 'Skinny Bar' section - but I removed that to clean up the content organization and must not have included that note anywhere else - which was to the effect, that if you pledge on Meanders 2, you get a lifetime guarantee to pick up any Meanders 2 set for $10 anytime after the campaign. I want to take care of those that take care of me - that is why I created so many of the different tile sets that backers suggested for future expansions to Meanders 1. I've posted in the Meanders 1 page, though I didn't want to, to request assistance from my previous backers to contribute soon to help out - but as I said to someone else, if many of them have changed their mind about wanting those maps, there's nothing I can do. I've posted in 80 FB groups, 20 forums, took out adds on FB and a crowd fund site, advertised from my own website and google+ account and group, and my own FB groups, and have dozens of friends trying to help me out posting as well. Either this campaign is going to see a surge near the end, when it might be too late, or just in the nick of time, or it is going to fall short and I'll be back on the forklift. But if it does fund - then I will ensure that backers have ready access to new and continued Meanders as long as they want them.

I will re-add that VIP note.

OK, I am making my pledge now, Kris.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    In the previous ones he has run he has allowed paypal after the Kickstarter for additional add-ons.

I have a feeling that if this one gets some higher level of backers it will get more attention and more and more people will join.
    As I said above, beyond what I have already done and am doing, I don't see any other ways to invite incentive. It was a bad time to launch, retrospectively, but I couldn't know that at the time - but I will stay with it because I believe in Meanders and myself. Offering paypal is a double-edged sword, as some people then simply wait until after the campaign has finished - but if there is not sufficient funding, then the campaign fails, and waiting only harms the chances of it being a reality. I'm offering 400+ maps in dozens of designs, willing to do a MapForge compatible set, and trying to create a sustainable supply of high-quality terrain that can be accessed inexpensively and regularly - it's a lot of work, I can do it, but I'm really not sure there is anything more I can do except wait and see.

Love your work Kris and have supported you on previous campaigns. It's easy to say this retrospectively, but my immediate impressions when I saw the KS launched were: 1) Wow! $10,000! Going to struggle to get that. 2) Holy Crap! There's so much stuff in there I'm lost, or would have to spend lots and lots of money to cover the stuff I want. I'm a Kickstarter junkie - especially for digital maps, and I don't like feeling I've missed out on anything - seeing I'd have to pledge $AU 750 for all of the maps kinda turned me off on my initial quick view. I know there's a sh1t ton of amazing stuff there

I've backed a lot of Kickstarters over the years, and the trend I've seen with niche independent publishers is that it's better to have a reachable target and then give more add-on options/additional products to pledge levels via stretch goals. I know you need to earn a crust and manage what you produce based off the income from the Kickstarter. And I know that you got a lot of great feedback from Meanders 1 and this probably prompted you to reach for the sky with this.

Hitting the target with a good base set of products helps you get funding. Then stretch goals are the spur for existing backers to spread the word - as the backers want more options available to them via stretch goals and intersperse additional paid add-ons with more "free" stuff for certain pledge levels. This way you're expanding the offering towards what your original goal was with the current KS, and existing backers feel they're getting more for their money as free stuff is added to pledges. The backers spread the work - people come along and see that the project is funded, can jump on board at a reasonable level to get a good bunch of meanders and feel they're getting a great deal with some free stretch goal products. The campaign then starts to gain momentum as backers spread the word, and existing pledges slowly increase as add-on stretch goals are met.

There's obviously no perfect formula and campaigns are very much testing the water for small independent publishers...

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts. I'd love to see more of your lovely maps, so want to see you succeed.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Love your work Kris and have supported you on previous campaigns. It's easy to say this retrospectively, but my immediate impressions when I saw the KS launched were: 1) Wow! $10,000! Going to struggle to get that. 2) Holy Crap! There's so much stuff in there I'm lost, or would have to spend lots and lots of money to cover the stuff I want. I'm a Kickstarter junkie - especially for digital maps, and I don't like feeling I've missed out on anything - seeing I'd have to pledge $AU 750 for all of the maps kinda turned me off on my initial quick view. I know there's a sh1t ton of amazing stuff there

I've backed a lot of Kickstarters over the years, and the trend I've seen with niche independent publishers is that it's better to have a reachable target and then give more add-on options/additional products to pledge levels via stretch goals. I know you need to earn a crust and manage what you produce based off the income from the Kickstarter. And I know that you got a lot of great feedback from Meanders 1 and this probably prompted you to reach for the sky with this.

Hitting the target with a good base set of products helps you get funding. Then stretch goals are the spur for existing backers to spread the word - as the backers want more options available to them via stretch goals and intersperse additional paid add-ons with more "free" stuff for certain pledge levels. This way you're expanding the offering towards what your original goal was with the current KS, and existing backers feel they're getting more for their money as free stuff is added to pledges. The backers spread the work - people come along and see that the project is funded, can jump on board at a reasonable level to get a good bunch of meanders and feel they're getting a great deal with some free stretch goal products. The campaign then starts to gain momentum as backers spread the word, and existing pledges slowly increase as add-on stretch goals are met.

There's obviously no perfect formula and campaigns are very much testing the water for small independent publishers...

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts. I'd love to see more of your lovely maps, so want to see you succeed.
    "And I know that you got a lot of great feedback from Meanders 1 and this probably prompted you to reach for the sky with this." - It is, and given the amount of maps I intend to design I didn't think 10k was unreasonable - or reaching for the sky, I've lived off 11k a year after leaving my job as a forky to work on RPG stuff and deciding to try and change my luck with KS. As I said to someone else, that's what it costs to keep me at my desk for 6 full months so I can give my full concentration to them and have them all ready as quickly as possible without compromising quality. But what can I do if the initial demand has now waned - markets are like that, they move quickly and change. I am very grateful for the kind words, and ongoing support. All of you guys have been wonderful and very helpful to me and sharing my work around is much appreciated. I may have made a mistake, and just hope that I haven't.

Thread Information