DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: C.O.O.L. Beasts

As I mentioned, I'm using almost the same fields as you are for AD&D. I'm attaching a screenshot and a stat block. I'll be adding a bit to each stat block so fit with the NPC fields, such as size, # encountered, intelligence, treasure, base to hit, etc.

Attachment 17887

Demonic Knight
    Hit Dice: 9
    Armor Class: -1 [20]
    Attack: +1 longsword (1d8+1) or 2 slams (1d6)
    Saving Throw: 6
    Special: Breath of unlife, fear, magic resistance (30%), +1 or
    better weapon to hit, spells, summon demons
    Move: 12
    Alignment: Chaos
    Challenge Level/XP: 14/2600

Add:
    Size: Medium
    # Enc: 1
    Intelligence: High
    Treasure: TBD
    Base To Hit (based on THAC0): 10

Does that give you enough to go on?
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Yes and no. Best is if I wait until I can see the actual code in record_npc.xml, as well as output in the db.xml.

As you are still in development, however, and are aware of the other specs already disseminated, you are in a position to name your variables either the same or different, as applicable, in order to fit yours in seamlessly with the project.

Just a few things that I notice from the screenshot and not seeing under the hood:

AC and DAC are used and are numbers, which matches up with AD&D, however, the difference is 19 rather than 20. This is due to the difference in how AC is handled between the two games, so you will likely want that to be preserved, hence, will want to name your variables uniquely, such as SWac and SWdac.

Movement rates are always problematic, because the precedent of using either "number of 5 inch squares that can be moved in 1 round" or "number of feet that can be moved in one round" with round = 10 secs has been established in modern games usually with 30 = 6 5 ft squares = 3 10 ft squares being the base as opposed to the old systems with round = 1 minute and base movement rate being 12" = 120 ft = 12 10 foot squares = 24 5 foot squares in 1 minute round. In order to be most faithful to the old game systems, we should technically use the older system, but to be honest, it doesn't make much sense when moving tokens around maps; most old school play was done theatre of the mind, so it didn't matter about how many squares you could move. Allowing standard movement of 24 5 foot squares each round of combat seems problematic or broken when not using theatre of the mind, however. That should be considered.

Base to Hit might conflict with other rulesets depending on naming of the variable. It should be maintained as a unique value due to the differences in the way other games assign Base to Hit values. i.e. don't use BTH or BtH.

Treasure assignment tables are always unique in each game, thus naming the variable SWtreasure is a good idea.

Attack lines in games are often handled differently, so it is likely a good idea to use SWattack or SWatk or something similar, so it can be maintained separately; but if not, then the closest would be to match it up with C&C variable names which are monsteratk and atk.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    Yes and no. Best is if I wait until I can see the actual code in record_npc.xml, as well as output in the db.xml.

As you are still in development, however, and are aware of the other specs already disseminated, you are in a position to name your variables either the same or different, as applicable, in order to fit yours in seamlessly with the project.
    DbD is still early enough in the data entry stage (eg Ive done none this last month) that I can change some or all of my conflicting names...
    Let me look at that.

For now, I had been matching up with CnC because I figured that would be the easiest for compatibility. And if you leave it dac/aac and for S&W have it do 19- instead of 20- like in the AD&D code, it will be fine. Base to hit is basetohit but I'll go with SWbasetohit. S&W uses the older movement system of 10' squares x 3,6,9,12 depending on encumbrance. I'm planning on using the intended movement for S&W.

I should have the NPC stuff finished tomorrow or this coming week. If you want to wait till you can see the structure then I should be able to get it to you soon. It should look very similar in the DB as it does for CnC and AD&D.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    DbD is still early enough in the data entry stage (eg Ive done none this last month) that I can change some or all of my conflicting names...
    Let me look at that.
    That's the same for me. It isn't a big deal to change variable names right now. That is also why I'm purposely using the same structure and naming conventions as C&C and AD&D.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

I'm sure it will all work out.

Just imagine the power we will have to enter npc's once, all in one place, and have them be read by multiple rulesets. And don't forget, this can work in reverse; meaning you will be able to bring a bestiary from the other ruleset into the Savage Worlds environment and have them work. The time savings for creating publishable modules could be incredible.

That raises one final thought. I know Damned and Trenloe and some others are involved in doing CoC modules. Would a version of this for CoC be useful to do?
    Last edited by vodokar; February 11th, 2017 at 23:45.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

On our discussion of movement rate conventions. As "move" is currently shared amongst all of the rulesets, we should present movement using both systems.

From AD&D PHB
    12"/60sec = 120'/60sec

Converting

120'/60sec = x/10sec; x = 120'x10sec/60sec; x = 120'/6 = 20' = 2 10' squares = 4 5' squares.

18"/60sec = 30'/10sec

etc.

Incidentally, the reason it was originally written in inches. The beginning D&Ders were mostly wargamers. It literally meant, take out your tape measure and measure off 12 in and then move your miniature, same as Warhammer still is today. The first gridded modules were coming out about the time the PHB did, so, both inches and feet were included so you could either use tape measure or count out on the 10' per square grid. But, I digress.

The "move" variable is a string, so we can simply write movement rate as 12"/min or 20'/10sec thus satisfying all ruleset requirements.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Good call. I'm not changing any of the variable types either and I decided to do away with the automation when filling in NPC stats. I'll add something like that to the possible future enhancements list but it is low priority right now.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

I posted the Old School NPC Maker extension. You may get it here.

I currently haven't added the Swords and Wizardry ruleset to the ones supported. I likely could have, based on the information given me, but it will be easier to work with it once the ruleset is released. Supports C&C, DCC RPG, AD&D and nominally, Damned Basic Dungeon at launch.

I plan to take a pass on doing other features, such as support of items, weapons etc. when I get time.
    Last edited by vodokar; February 17th, 2017 at 03:22.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Thread Information